cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handset facilities not working

Mossback

Handset facilities not working

Not sure if I'm even in the right place for this but no doubt someone will advise if not!  Smiley
Just joined Plusnet for  phone and broadband and after connecting my cordless phones I have noticed that the missed calls, caller ID and answer-phone facilities are not working. These are handset based not provider based - i.e. caller ID comes from the memorised phone-book saved to the handset.
The Openreach engineer that connected the broadband reckons its something BT needs to sort out but I pay Plusnet for line rental.
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Handset facilities not working

Hi and welcome
Caller ID needs to be enabled on your line for you phone to be able to convert the number to a name from the phonebook.  PN charge an extra 99p/month for this to be turned on.
Mossback

I didn't need to pay TalkTalk for any facilities because they were all handset based, don't understand why that should not be the case with Plusnet.
The particular BT Synergy handset was specifically bought because it has all three built in.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Mossback

The particular BT Synergy handset was specifically bought because it has all three built in.

If you check the box and/or user manual it'll probably confirm what pwatson has told you  Wink
pwatson
Rising Star

Regarding the answer machine - This may have stopped working as PN enable the 1571 Voicemail feature by default and this is kicking in before your TAM has picked up.
You can check if this is the case by looking at your call features here: https://portal.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=wlr_my_account
Mossback

Thanks all, I'm beginning to get the picture.
Maybe TalkTalk gave caller I.D. for free, and I do have 1571 in my package that might be kicking in before the TAM has had a chance. Could 'missed calls notification' be part of caller I.D. ?
I will try and find the handbook for the phone, there is one somewhere amongst the moving paraphernalia yet to be unpacked.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You could probably find it online.  A quick google gives me this as the manual for the BT Synergy 5500.  If it's a different model that would probably be online as well somewhere.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: Mossback
Could 'missed calls notification' be part of caller I.D. ?

Yes - If Caller ID isn't on your line the phone doesn't know the number of the caller, answered or not. 
Mossback

When the 'better half' gets off the phone  Roll_eyes I'll check 1571 and her being the oracle of all things she will probably know in what box the handbook was packed. If not google will no doubt come to the rescue.
Thanks to all that have replied.