cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a large amount of scam calls; Call Protect not working

Miles_W

Getting a large amount of scam calls; Call Protect not working

Over the last few days I've been getting regular calls from "Sky" saying there is a problem with my broadband. (This is a common scam where the scammer tries to get you to download software to gain remote access onto your PC.)

At first I played along, it's quite fun seeing how long you can delay and frustrate the caller - on the premise that the longer I keep them talking to me, the less time they have to find someone who might be liable to fall for their tactics.

But it's getting tiresome now, so I added the Plusnet Call Protect feature to my line in the hope it might reduce these calls.

First issue - after waiting 24 hours, it is shown as active but dialling 1572 gets a message "service cannot be connected" - seems to be the same problem as in this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Call-Protect-cannot-be-connected/td-p/1755649

Secondly, dialling 1471 seems to show that the scammers are calling from a different  number each time (are they spoofing the number somehow?). Even if Call Protect was working, I don't know if it would be able to protect against scammers using lots of different numbers?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Getting a large amount of scam calls; Call Protect not working

@Miles_W 

Spoofing the caller number and frequently changing it to fool these basic call blockers is standard practice these days. If you want a sure fire way of stopping all these calls then forget Plusnet's system and buy a BT phone fitted with the inbuilt True Call blocking system. It works in a totally different way by screening calls and effectively blocking automatic diallers. I have used one for years and not one spam call has got through in all this time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Re: Getting a large amount of scam calls; Call Protect not working

@Miles_W  I totally endorse @Baldrick1  and the BT Truecall system 🙂 to block all those nuisance calls 🙂 I have also been using it for years 🙂  FYI - I have the BT4600 twin phones 🙂 It's a great investment £54.99 on Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Machine-Black-White/dp/B01CP2DS5O/ref=sr_1_11?...