cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General query about neighbours trees and phone line.

spookypickle
Grafter

General query about neighbours trees and phone line.

This year we had to ask our neighbour who lives across from us to trim her garden trees back as we were beginning to get a little bit worried that they were about to overtake our line from the pole (also the line of our immediate neighbour). She  obliged cutting back an Ash tree and some Leylandii.  Our concern is she also has an apple tree which she won't touch. Luckily it's not as tall, however it shot up this year by at least 4ft and if it does the same next year it will definitely take the line with it (it's about 1ft away now).  We are going to have to talk to her again about it, but I wanted to know the legalities before speaking to her. Am I right in thinking that if anything was to happen to the line and the tree is found to be the cause she would be liable for the cost of repair?
Any info is appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: General query about neighbours trees and phone line.

I guess the line belongs to BT, not you, so best to ask them via your phone provider.
There are various rules/law about such situations and they may have a wayleave agreement in place. http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/wayleaves/wayleaves.do
spookypickle
Grafter

Cheers for that.
I'm sure if we ask our neighbour again she will be fine about it. I guess I just need that extra bit of 'ammo' to encourage the odd bit of lopping to take place.  The trees were only planted about 10 years ago when she first moved in, but they've grown like crazy in the past couple of years.  If it does get to the stage where it need to be done I would think PN would try and help out.
Devonian
Grafter

Just speak to the neighbour, have a cuppa and a chat. 
People are to quick to arm themselves to make threats it seems.
spookypickle
Grafter

There's no way we'd threaten her, in a 'do it or else' way.  We chat to her all the time, it's just one of those awkward subjects which can sometimes cause problems and it's handy to know the facts for her sake as well as ours, it would be gentle encouragement if anything.  Annoying thing is I don't mind the trees as they are, it's just a shame the line just happens to be there  Undecided
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

She may not know about wayleaves and that she can get paid (a pittance) by BT for right of access if anything is actually sited on her land, even just a post.
If it's just a line passing over it's slightly different.
NedLudd
Grafter

A few years back, in a different house, our neighbours phone line ran across our garden (our line was underground). We also had a Leylandi quite close to the pole. Whilst attending their 'manhole' outside my house, BT politely reminded me that the tree should not be within 1 metre of the line! I had the tree trimmed down to 1 metre below the line to avoid any further "requests"!
Whether BT could have enforced this or, trimmed the tree themselves I do not know. It just seemed that the easiest thing to do was to comply with their 'polite' request!
Geoff,
York.
kmilburn
Grafter

I assume BT wouldn't be happy with this style of pruning either!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Apple trees have a tendency to push up long shoots which the following year bear apples which then bend the branches down. If there's a good crop next year it could be longer than you expect before it reaches the line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)