cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freephone calls to Plusnet to report faults??

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Freephone calls to Plusnet to report faults??

Will Plusnet be adding a freephone number to report a fault?
I have in mind an equivalent to BT's 151.
The reason for asking is if you have no service at all, it is difficult to have to make a call to PlusNet from a call box or from somewhere else.
36 REPLIES 36
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Freephone calls to Plusnet to report faults??

If free when you use next doors phone  Wink
Remember that `freephone` numbers are not free from mobile phones anyway.
Chilly
Bob_Milton
Grafter

It is not always possible to use a 'next doors' 'phone.
It can be the case that their service is affected as well.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Some of those things that you say are just not true. There is too much assumption of what sort of service other people have.
My purpose of asking this question is to get a response from Plusnet, they are the folk who provide the service. I beleive that they belong to BT, don't they?
Could there be a response from PlusNet and not too much input from well meaning but ill advised folk.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yes they are owned by BT, but this doesn't mean that they can have a free telephone number similar to 151 to give to their customers. PlusNet are independent of BT, and mainly deal with them in the form of BT Wholesale and not much else (from what I know, anyway).
Basically, if it was possible for them to provide this service, I'm sure they already would have. However they do not, so the calls to report broadband faults must be made to their geographical number or their 0845 number, or via the Help Assistant to raise a ticket.
I wouldn't say PJ is ill-advised, as the information he has given you is valid, it may just not be what you wish to hear on the subject.
As he says, no doubt a member of the PlusNet staff will post their views when they are back in the office, or if someone comes along before Monday.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

In the meantime can we all agree to wait till Monday??
Or until there is a considered reply from Plusnet.
Oh! my apologies!!
I have just read again what was said about using an employers 'phone.
I am not able to use any employer's 'phone, I am retired. As I said there is sometimes too much assumption on the part of well meaning people.
I am not using PlusNet's 'phone service, but I wanted to find out what PlusNet's views are, after all they are nice friendly people who do listen. perhaps I am not alone in wanting to know PlusNet's views. Or maybe other well meaning folk have not considered the situation.
Mandy Becket did, I beleive, respond to a member who had a query on behalf of a possible member. So I don't think there is anything wrong with me asking something.
I don't beleive Plusnet adopt an 'I'm alright Jack attitude'.
Not applicable

Although I am not too worried about having this service as Plusnet are now using geographical numbers, I can see your point.  A couple of weeks ago my telephone suddenly 'died' and as it was the middle of the day, I knew that I should have a bit of a wait if I used a neighbour's phone, something that I would rather avoid.  As I don't have an inclusive mobile package, the wait would probably have used up all my credit.
Question is, if they did have a 151 service, presumably it couldn't be used on a mobile? If the neighbour wasn't in, it would have to be the phone booth but it would be more convenient because it would bypass the call queue.
Incidentally, the phone was only off for a few minutes so I didn't need to telephone anyone.
itsme
Grafter

151 is the short dial number which can be used from BT phones the full number is 0800 800 151. The same can be applied to all BT numbers i.e. 150 152 etc.
So no reason that PN can't offer a freephone number for Home phone support.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
150/151/152 will not work without the 0800 800 prefix should the customer be calling from a home phone service.  Also, it would be relatively pointless phoning them as you would not be a customer of theirs.
We currently have no plans set to offer a "free" number for home phone support, however, depending which of our packages you are on, the fact that we offer a geographical support number would mean that your charges for calling us would be either free or very low.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

James,
The suggestion was not to use 151 etc.
Some members seem to have mistakenly adopted the existing BT numbers.
The idea was to simply have a freephone number to report a homephone failure of service where the exchange connection had failed.
Perhaps you could have a look at Poppy's remarks.
Your comment that using a geographical number can be cheap is not necessarily true, it can cost quite a bit. You should not assume the most convenient set of circumstances to suit your point of view. Neighbours phones are not always easily available. If you have to use a call office or a mobile  then Poppy's remarks are quite appropriate.
Are you not wanting to provide a freephone service because of costs?
Perhaps it would be an incentive along with other incentives that Plusnet offer. Why not ask your 'incentives' man?
If your reason is cost please say so.
James
Grafter

Your comment that using a geographical number can be cheap is not necessarily true, it can cost quite a bit.

No, of course not.  It depends entirely on your package.  We added a geographical number based on feedback from our customers who disliked our 0845 number.  I really don't know the financial pricing behind supplying an 0800 number, but I imagine that it would not be a particularly cheap solution which based against the number of home phone customers that we have, coupled with the fact that phoning an 0800 number is not free from a mobile phone, would not neccessarily make it a more attractive product.
My reason would not be entirely down to cost but also as outlined above, this would not be free from mobiles and if your landline is down, I would expect this to be the logical form of contact.
I am not making assumptions.  I am merely stating that for most, a geographical number is a good option for contacting us as it *may* result in savings versus the 0845 number that was previously in use.
LiamM
Grafter

If you have to use a mobile, then it will cost you the same to call a freephone number than it will to call a geographical number (often more) with most networks / tarrifs.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Is it possible you find out the 'price' before dismissing the idea?
James
Grafter

I haven't dismissed the idea.  I've voiced an opinion.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

How about PlusNet considering the idea?