cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filters

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Filters

I had a new master socket installed some time ago, by OpenReach which has a built in filter (NTE5), its the type with the double sockets on the front, one for broadband one for phone. When the engineer installed it he said it's already got a built in filter so any other phone sockets in the house won't need filters on them. At present I don't have a filter in the living room or bedroom the phone is just plugged into the socket.

However I'm having a personal SOS alarm system shortly, and the base plugs into the mains and the phone lead plugs into a phone socket. I can't have it plugged into the master socket as thats in a room that's never used so need to plug it into the phone socket in the living room or the one in the bedroom, these were hard wired when the bungalow was built and are not DIY extensions. However, do I need to put a filter on those sockets or does the built in filter on the master socket cover them?

Am I correct in thinking the double socket Openreach installed is a splitter that divides the incoming broadband from the telephone?  In which case is it correct I would need a filter on the living room and bedroom phone sockets. 

It's very confusing! 

Thanks in anticipation

4 REPLIES 4
azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Filters

You should not need any filters plugged in to any of your phone sockets. The splitter in the master socket should stop the broadband signal from travelling to your extension sockets.

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Thank you 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry about the delayed staff response

As alanc has advised you won't need to use microfilters anymore. Let us know if you have any further queries or issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Sorry for the extremely late reply.

I had to use a filter on one of the two hard wired extension sockets in my living room where the SOS system is plugged in, because without it the base unit for the system didn't work correctly. (The master socket for broadband/telephone is in another room at the front of the bungalow).

The SOS system engineer is aware of this and we tested my SOS system with and without the filter attached to the socket. It was him who said I should use the filter on the extension socket otherwise their system wouldn't work correctly.

Thought I'd put this here incase you get any other people with the same issue. The base unit works by wifi to the emergency pendant/bracelet, and then via the phone line to the main call centre where emergency calls arrive. Without the filter on that particular socket the calls don't get through or if they do, there is so much noise on the line the call centre can't hear what you're saying.