Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre packages which use a phone line

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fibre packages which use a phone line

I’m on unlimited broadband (no contract) plus anytime phone (landline).

From the Plusnet website: ‘Want to keep your landline? No problem, you can choose a great renewal or upgrade deal on our broadband and faster fibre packages which use a phone line.’

Where on the website are these ‘faster fibre packages which use a phone line’? I can't find any.

7 REPLIES 7
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Fibre packages which use a phone line

@ajax 

As far as I am aware Plusnet do not offer an option for full fibre with landline nor do they offer a voip option.  They only offer FTTC with the associated copper landline. As you are not in contract you could move with no penalty to any provider that supplies full fibre with a landline / voip option and port your existing landline number to them.

Those providers may use the Openreach fibre network or another such network (e.g.CityFibre etc) if available in your street.

Note that, based on some posts on these forums, not all voip providers seem to be aware that landlines can now be ported after the service stops (the existing provider has to retain the number for 31 days to allow this). However if you move to another provider you could leave your existing service in place until the new service was up and running and then port your landline which would automatically cease your Plusnet broadband. There would be a small penalty cost with this as you would have to pay for the notice period with Plusnet after porting but it should mean that you have no broadband downtime and only a minimal time without phone until the port completes which would provide assurance if the fibre install was delayed.

Another option is to ring COT (0800 013 2632) who may be able to move you to a BT fibre package with digital voice.

Good luck.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-package-guide/

You're looking for the Unlimited Fibre & Unlimited Fibre Extra.

However, some of the packages may not be available in your location. This https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL will tell you what is available in your area. Just enter your phone number. If you're not sure about the results then post a screenshot ( redact your phone number or address as this is a public forum ) and we'll advise

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@ajax 

From your description you are on ADSL (20/1 download/upload speed in Mbps), the slowest service.

Assuming that this is correct you can simply upgrade to Fibre (40/10) or Fibre Extra (80/20) without any problems with your telephone connection. It is only upgrades to full fibre where you run into issues with your Plusnet telephone service.

If you put your phone number in here then you can see what is available.  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL   If you want advice on the results then obscure your phone number and post the results here so that we can advise.  

Edit

@MisterW  is faster at typing than me!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

This is the result I received:

'Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with Line of sight problems Trees.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This site is in an FTTP priority area where FTTP is available but exceptionally SOGEA will also show as available to order but only at Non-Standard Premises (NSP) such as Hot site, Uninhabitable and Temporary locations. Migrations of WLR Solus (voice-only lines) is also allowed but only for SOGEA 0.5Mbps bandwidths.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.'

I would stress that I am content with the download/upload speeds I'm currently getting. But I'm currently paying £51 monthly for the overall package, whilst Plusnet continually remind me that because I am out of contract I could switch to a cheaper Plusnet package with landline phone included. But where is a cheaper package to be found on Plusnet?Huh

Many thanks for the help. Most of the acronyms mentioned in the report mean little to me, I'm afraid. 

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

johnmilbank
Hooked

According to computer active BT customers will get a router with a phone socket and free power line analog phone adapters.

I am guessing that all ISP's will do the same.

I suspect that it may take a little longer than the date 2025.

We are not too bothered because we have mobile phones from other providers in our house as well.

The loss of a landline phone may not be too serious.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@johnmilbank  You haven't got a clue. BT and some other ISP customers  can get a Digital voice service with a phone socket on the router. As for power line analog phone adapters, not sure what they might be.

This is where you are totally wrong ....."I am guessing that all ISP's will do the same."

Nobody really knows what service providers will do when the PSTN service stops in 2025. Plusnet have no digital phone service with their FTTP product at the moment and others are the same. Whether this will change in the future is is unknown.🤔

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@ajax 

If you are happy with your current speed and want to keep your landline phone you can save money by renewing the contract with your current service. Simply ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. This phone number is normally answered quite quickly.

As you are in a fibre priority area and want to keep your landline phone, which is currently not offered by Plusnet, then unless you are tech savvy your best alternative is to move to another ISP such as BT

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'