cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few Homephone Questions

grant2008

Few Homephone Questions

At the moment we've with BT, which we have been with for ever. Currently the phone account is registered in my Dad's name... he's long gone, been about 4 years. BT can't do a simple thing like change the name of the account holder without ceasing the phone line - which in turn would effect our broadband connection, so we've just left it.
1. If I was to transfer over to Plusnet Homephone, can I do it in my name or does it have to match the name it's in now (my Dads)
2. We have also been getting a lot of Wrong Number calls and really want to change our phone number. When plusnet say you can keep your own number, can this be optional - I mean when you sign up to Plusnet HomePhone can you ask to have a new number. If so, would this effect our broadband.
Regards.
3 REPLIES 3
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Re: Few Homephone Questions

Our BT line was in my husband's name as they wouldn't allow joint names, even though I paid the line rental (looking at the changing details page, I see there's no option with PlusNet for joint names either!). We transferred over to PlusNet Home Phone at the end of March and as our PlusNet Broadband account is in my name I'm assuming that the phone line is too now. Don't know if that would affect the BT phone directory entry or not.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
paulby
Grafter

@grant2008
I'm not sure about a number change - you'd best wait for Mand to answer that one.
However, are the calls wrong numbers (misdialled because your number is similar to another) or are they cold calls - unsolicited sales calls etc.)?
If it's the latter, you can register your number with the TPS.  That should stop the vast majority of cold calls within a month. It doesn't cost to register and once registered it's a legal requirement for companies to remove you from their call lists.  There ae some exceptions - namely if you've given the company your number, if you've previously dealt with them or you're a current customer.  It also won't stop calls from overseas.

Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
A transfer (which is free) would mean keeping your existing telephone number. We do not submit the name, so it would stay in the same name as it is currently.
BT Retail can do a number change without affecting the broadband service, however from experience of speaking with our customers it seems you have to get the right person in CS at BT's end to get this.
In terms of a number change once you're with us, it would be very simple to do, and should not affect your broadband service, however we would be required to pass on the charge that Openreach issue for this work (currently £38.75).