cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedup with sales calls!

ming
Grafter

Fedup with sales calls!

Angry In 30 years ex-directory with BT we never had any pestering phone calls. Since we changed to Plusnet 2 months ago we get phone calls all the time and are SO fedup of it! I know its down to Plusnet because they are the only people on the planet apart from family who have my mobile number and that gets sales calls too.  Angry
We are retired, we are both ill, and we cannot get peace to sit and rest without the damn bloody phone going all the time. Is there anywhere I can complain about this?
jim:red All caps in title removed as per Forum Rule
37 REPLIES 37
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fedup with sales calls!

Hi there, really sorry to hear that.
First step is to register for the TPS - http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
If you haven't already that should stop the majority of these calls coming through.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

We have seen a few such complaints. Perhaps this is an explanation.
"Do I need to renew my subscription with the TPS?
If you have registered a residential number or a number belonging to a sole trader or (except in Scotland) partnership, you do not need to renew. However, if you have registered a number on to the Corporate TPS belonging to a Limited company, Plc or other large organisation, you are required to renew annually. In this case TPS will send you an e-mail each year to notify you of this. Failure to renew will result in your number(s) being removed from the CTPS data file. Please be aware that if you change your telephone package, obtained broadband or change telephone line service provider for example, we may receive notice from your current/old line service provider that your line has been made inactive. In this case your number would be removed from the file as the service is only intended for live numbers."
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq.html#16
So BT customers registered with TPS transferring to Plusnet need to re-register after they have transferred.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

When I transferred and started getting these calls, I checked with the TPS and they told me I was ALREADY registered and didn't need to re-register. I still get the nuisance calls though. One "international" one saying something was wrong with my M$ pc  Crazy and an automated one a short while ago where IF I had pressed any buttons I would have been charged £££'s  Tongue  Crazy
PN REALLY need to sort out the selling of numbers Angry (I know they claim they don't but why is it as soon as we move to PN for phone rental we get calls?)
itsme
Grafter

or it could be the Electoral Roll. Do a search http://www.192.com/people/search/ and see what come up.
ming
Grafter

I am registered with TPS, I've checked. The really annoying thing is that it happens on my mobile too, and Plusnet is def the only place who have that. It's not good enough and is ruining my experience with Plusnet. My husband has heart disease and isnt at all well, and I'm ill too. And the phone keeps annoying us and we cant switch it off in case its family.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

But why does it seem to only happen when we transfer to PN? The ER happens every year and my number hasn't changed in the past 3 years, since I moved it due to nuisance calls & faxes meant for a business whose number was 1 digit different.
David_W
Rising Star

We get a fair few international (but can't block international as we have relatives abroad - though why can someone in the US see our phone number but not the other way around?) callers who now get the short, sharp treatment, but recently got a 01 number, I pointed out I was on the TPS and they said their system disagreed with me, I told the guy where to go and hung up.  Maybe I should start making note of the company involved and phone their British number 25 times a day offering to sell them PPI whatever it is they are selling Smiley
ming
Grafter

It's nothing to do with the electoral roll, I've been ex-directory for years without any pesterign calls and I've always been here at this address on the ER. It just happened when we joined Plusnet - and they are the only people who have my mobile number,  that gets stupid calls too. It has seriously annoyed us. The one bad thing about Plusnet.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its nothing to do with plusnet  read this from another current threadhttp://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94988.msg849469.html#msg849469
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Maybe true for mobiles but what about LL's? (and VOIP's I get sales calls on it even though NO one has that number bar PN)
It just seems a (long) coincidence that since we have moved our LL's to PN they start getting sales calls (mine started THE DAY I moved). If it was just one or two of us then fine but there are more than that.
itsme
Grafter

All telephone numbers are allocated by OFCOM and I believe that you can find the block allocations somewhere on the net. This also apply to VoIP numbers. So random number generators in the allocated blocks is not to hard to program. And if you have an answering machine on any of the telephones it prove it's a live number then it's sold on.
salopsnail

When I swapped my phone service to Plusnet my previously ex-directory number came to light in the online telephone books. Then the annoying calls started despite my being registered with the Telephone Reference Service. I contacted Plusnet support and within days my online telephone book entry was removed, only have to wait until the new paper directories come out and I shall hopefully be able to enjoy peace and quiet.  Smiley
pin2011
Grafter

Quote from: ming
Angry In 30 years ex-directory with BT we never had any pestering phone calls. Since we changed to Plusnet 2 months ago we get phone calls all the time and are SO fedup of it! I know its down to Plusnet because they are the only people on the planet apart from family who have my mobile number and that gets sales calls too.  Angry
We are retired, we are both ill, and we cannot get peace to sit and rest without the damn bloody phone going all the time. Is there anywhere I can complain about this?
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  All caps in title removed as per Forum Rule
Get yourself an answer phone, i got a panasonic answer phone, set it to answer after 3 rings and you can either leave it so that t he caller leaves a msg and ring em later or if its family just pickup the phone and talk away. The blighters you don't want to speak to soon get the message and hang up as quick as rabbit down its hole.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Filibuster]The blighters you don't want to speak to soon get the message and hang up as quick as rabbit down its hole.
NO THEY DON'T !  Angry
We have been doing that for years, and just yesterday we must have had about FIFTEEN unwanted sales calls.
We got so fed up with it that the phone almost got unplugged just so we could have a few moments of peace without the blasted phone ringing !
Angry