Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fax Machine calls overnight

Debe2233
Hooked

Fax Machine calls overnight

Hello,
I have had problems in the past where a fax machine has called the phoneline supplied by Plusnet. When i answer the phone it just beeps at me repeatedly and ties the phoneline up, the call is from a witheld number so i cant do anything about it. It only happens ocassionally so i was just fairly happy to just live with it.
Lastnight i was woken up at 4am. and then again at 6am by the sodding thing.
Is there anyway i can stop this from happening? The doctors surgery as well as the dentist surgery use witheld numbers so i dont particularlly just want to block them entirely. I just want this one number, whatever it is, to stop with the calling at 4am.
Many thanks
Dan
5 REPLIES 5
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Fax Machine calls overnight

welcome to the forum
soryy to say not much you can do except get a fax machine or fax program on your computer and actually recieve the fax.
had that problem on my mothers machine a ffew years back, turnded out to be a large company in the midlands, quickly put a stop to it.
like you hve two family members who have numbers with help, and several NHS people, they are a pain in the A.
likewise International, I have three family members in Aus/NZ and their calls dont show up on caller display, so cant ban the Indian subcontinent ppains
pvy2712
Grafter

Used the wrong user first time… heh.
Well I found the reason for the constant fax calls.
My number is plastered all over the internet as a fax number for a company that existed in the town I live in approx 3 years ago. The company has closed since but a lot of websites which supply directory services haven’t caught up and as such I imagine that is why I’m getting the faxes.
To say I’m slightly annoyed about this would be an understatement.
I’m demanding Plusnet change my number as I am not putting up with having a recycled number that causes me to be dragged out of bed 3 times a night to listen to beeps.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

reading back, PN didnt give you that phone number, you had it with your previous ISP - so why get stroppy with PN.
pvy2712
Grafter

Yes they did give me that phone number. Im not sure where you got that they didn't. As for being stroppy... yes i probarbly was. Im putting that down to inturrupted and therfore not enough sleep, it always makes me cranky.
They have offered to change my number free of charge as my number is all over the internets as a fax number. A solution which im happy with. To be fair to them they had no idea it was an old fax number, although it only took a 30 second google search to determin this followed by an amusing 5 minute call to Walkers who used to own the number.
And it is not their fault its on the internet as a fax number, however there is absolutely nothing anyone could do to remove it as its on around 75 diffrent websites.
As it is i do feel bad about being grumpy to them. However after twice being dragged out of bed the night before and being told "Contact the police" as a solution to the initial request for assistance didnt help my mood much.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just one of your old posts, I normally check them when someonep pops up an another persons post to get the history. your old post could be read two ways
've had connection problems before with another ISP so first thing i did was check the phoneline and the exchange for problems, nothing there