Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family with sky and now can't ring my number

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Family with sky and now can't ring my number

I believe the Sky/Now customers trying to call @gjam732 should be raising this as an issue with Sky/Now to resolve.
They are not getting the connectivity to your gjam732's number and are active customers of Sky/Now.
Regards
Richard

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Such is the recommendation I made previously. It’s is a failure to full port out the number from Sky / Now.

Would be interesting to know if any Sky mobile subscribers experience the same failure to route the call?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gjam732
Dabbler

Yes. Sky mobile callers have the same problem.
However, i am now a customer of Plusnet who agreed to take my line over from Now and, as in the terms of the contract we have agreed, they state that they will provide me with the ability to make and receive calls. As their customer, with an issue preventing them from fully being able to meet their contractual obligations they should be taking action to rectify the fault. I have been chasing backwards and forwards between Plusnet and Now basically with each blaming the other. " Now" will not do anything as I'm not their customer. Those people getting the "line no longer exists" message when trying to call me have only my phone number as an issue for them and understandably feel that the fault is mine as they can contact everyone else so are not inclined to try to resolve it. I on the other hand have a cumulative problem and don't actually know the full extent.
At the end of the day I'm a plusnet customer with an issue on a line they agreed to take over and who are happy to continue to receive my full monthly payments. Surely there should be some interaction between these companies to resolve these issues - clearly others have been and are now affected with this and similar issues.
I have agreed to let them waste the time of an engineer visit with the hope that it will escalate to the point that Openreach take the necessary steps to resolve it.
Whichever side you look at this from (plusnet or sky), it is not my fault that the problem exists and as a service user I cannot be expected to fix it.
Maybe this needs to go to Ofcom?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Who is the range holder for the number.

Where did your number come from?

It might help to profile this issue by knowing the original network owner for your phone number. You can find the range holder for your phone number here - UK Phone Number Range Holders

One can spin this anyway one wants, at the end of it the problem is restricted to current Sky / Now subscribers cannot make calls to a number which Sky / Now have ported out.  The port process needs several parties to do the right thing - the acquiring party to request the number port and the relinquishing party to release the number AND ensure that call routing is sorted.  It is quite evident that Sky has failed to ensure that calls to number which were once theirs are now "exported" out of their network.

This needs then to resolve their issue.  Plusnet have already passed this upwards, it would help if the parties conered contacted their supplier and made VERY CLEAR that the issue relates to calling a number which was previously with Sky, has been migrated out ... and there appears to be an issue with Sky's routing ... and are not fobbed off with "its not our problem".

Clearly you having no commercial relationship with Sky are not in the best position to address this with them ... but your callers are.  Might they be friends / family?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Ofcom are not going to fix it, as a PN customer report the fault and complaint to them, your family can help speed up the fix by reporting and complaining they are unable to contact your number to their service providers.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this is still ongoing @gjam732

I've nudged the colleague in our Customer Advocates team who has ownership of this for you.

They'll be in touch soon

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MatthewWheeler 

Can the same advocate make contact with @terrymcc123 who reports the exact same issue earlier in this thread.

It is to be hoped that in seeking a resolution to these two incidents that the cause of failure is identified and measures are put in place with Sky to minimise the possibility of it happening again.

terrymcc123
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Would be great if someone at Plusnet would take ownership of this problem. It would save us all going around in circles chasing. Plusnet, Sky and in my case now BT.

BT engineer booked for a call today by Plusnet and note re cable moved to Sky and then jumpered back "in some way to the BT cabinet" and notes added to SI so Engineer can see and check for AH

No idea what SI and AH stand for.

Will advise if any resolution.

gjam732
Dabbler

Just to update the original post. Similar to terrymcc123 I've now had an openreach engineer here today to test my line (thats the line we know with 100% certainty that had no problems as I'm able to make and receive crystal clear phone calls to and from anyone in the world....... apart from recieving calls from sky customers landlines and mobiles).
Surprise ! The line is absolutely fine.
So he rang PN, entering their system through a BT engineer option. Immediately and without hesitation the PN staff suggested this was a migration/porting issue that required openreach to investigate from that side (ie exchange etc). Well Well, who would have thought that 😉. I've been saying that for months. Without any technical knowledge just applying common sense it was obvious the line was fine, wasn't it? I can't understand why PN would send an BTOR engineer at around £150 to check a line we all knew was fine, unless that box had to be ticked to move it back to OR. I'll update if anything changes....
I've provided PN with the numbers of those who can't get through and I've agreed to get them to call me again so i can provide times of calls to.
My son has also complained direct to his provider (sky) that he can't contact me.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is every possibility that due to the way that BT OR work, that for what is deemed a phone fault MUST have a circuit fault inspection first.  However the situation is so bizarre that I can imagine that some PN support person might have thought that a line check might be helpful!!

Where did your number come from?

It might help to profile this issue by knowing the original network owner for your phone number. You can find the range holder for your phone number here - UK Phone Number Range Holders

gjam732
Dabbler

I've held this number for 40yrs . Bt are the range holder. I was with Now prior to PN. I've been with Vodafone, Bt, talktalk, sky over the years and not had any previous porting issues.
gjam732
Dabbler

So following an openreach visit where no fault was found and having supplied PN with data on originating numbers and data and times of unsuccessful calls for them to pass to Openreach in told that OR can't d detect the attempted calls so their not reaching their system. PN have said they can't do anything and asked me, the customer, how I'd like to proceed. My answer is I'd like them to talk to Sky and for PN to honor their contract to supply a working system. An earlier comment said that I can spin this whichever way.....I don't need to spin it at all. I'm PN customer they aren't providing the agreed service. Whose fault that is is for then to determine and to FIX and not keep batting out back to me.
(For info I have asked those that I'm aware of who can't call me to get in touch with their providers - they've had a much success as me so far!)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

with data on originating numbers and data and times of unsuccessful calls for them to pass to Openreach in told that OR can't d detect the attempted calls so their not reaching their system.

@gjam732 That's hardly surprising, the calls probably arent being routed out of the Sky network!. If the calls arent reaching the OR network then there's nothing that either OR or PN can do, it's Sky's problem.

I appreciate that doesnt help you!

I suspect that the fastest (maybe the only) way is for a Sky customer who can't call you to complain to Sky and pass on the information from the OR testing, that the calls are not reaching the OR network. Whether they will listen to the evidence remains to be seen ...

terrymcc123
Hooked

My issue has been resolved. As we all know there is a possible problem when migrating from SKY to PN.

As this seemed to be a known fault it is just a matter of getting someone to admit it and know how to escalate to the right level of support.

I received a message from the BT engineer who came to test my line to ask if the problem was fixed, he had been told that it was. He took an interest and was able to tell me when the problem was resolved although I have not been given a full explanation for the problem. It looks as though when you migrate to SKY and then at later date migrate to BT/Plusnet it does not necessarily completely work. 

Question 230493855 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - Phone Faults - Migrations

Regards, Terry

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW

Sound accurate advice - if the calls are not getting anywhere near the BT network then there is nothing within the scope of their governance to resolve. If Sky is not responding to their customers reporting that calls to ported out numbers are not being routed to the number holder … then Sky needs to be reported to Ofcom.

Being picky here, it is not the Plusnet customer who has the issue - it is their callers who are Sky / Now customers. If this were a case that lots of different other network users had the same experience … that would be somewhat different.