cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake number scam calls

chrisweetman

Fake number scam calls

I, like many people on this forum am getting an increasing number of nuisance calls and its becoming quite frustrating...I am getting a number of PPI recorded messages, which I would like to try and block, but seem unable to, but more worryingly recently, I have been receiving a large number of calls from false telephone numbers...  Today, it was "Microsoft Technical Support" calling from 01789 196 972, apparently, there was a lot of bad traffic coming from my computer and they wanted to remote onto it to "fix" it...when I asked them to tell me my name as they were calling me, they actually tried to guess it, I then told them I don't have a computer at home, or the internet (that part was me lying), and they instantly hung up...

This is worrying as I am sure a few less technical people would fall for this, and these people are known to install ransomware onto computers...and the only evidence that they were called is a number, which when you dial it, says the number is not recognised.
next time they do this, I will get them to remote onto a virtual machine, or maybe a Linux computer!
Is there anything you can suggest to help reduce the number of nuisance calls, or should I unplug my house phone as its very very rare that I get proper calls on it when I am in (maybe 1 in 20!)
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Fake number scam calls

Check the many many threads about this on here. You can buy a box to block the calls, I use a CPR Call blocker, or a phone that has blocking on it. Or you can pay PN £4/mo for call blocking.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I think that PN should be protecting their customers for free if you are already paying line rental to them.
I can,t see that it would be a great cost to PN,it would be a great PR for their company to boast about.
I never had these issues before PN,but my bt truecall phone blocks it now,in this day & age come on. Huh Roll_eyes Sad
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
JohnGalloway
Grafter

I am of the opinion that it is about time OFCOM told phone providers that blocking services should all be free of charge.
problems I see are that a) OFCOM doesn't have the will and b) telcos would lose revenue and that would never do would it  Angry
John
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

I think it is disgusting that the public who pay for a telephone line are expected to pay for blocking services.
The first isp to provide this service could well pick up a lot of extra business i feel. Smiley Angry Sad Shocked
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Niggle9

I have recently installed a new BT DECT phone with all the features, caller display and call blocking. Then I found I had to pay PN to enable them. OK, Caller display is only 99p per month , but the calls I blocked on the phone, like the fake "Halifax Bank" recorded "security" announcements scam. (0845 3510271) are still getting through. How do I block such numbers? I believe PN is successfully blocking withheld numbers, but scammers are wise to that. If BT can do it, why can't PN?
PeeGee
Pro

Have you actually enabled caller display? If not, there is no information that the "blocker" built into the phone can use to check if a call is from a number to be blocked.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.