cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Number port to VOIP , keep FTTC service on new number

Earlyadopter
Hooked

FTTC Number port to VOIP , keep FTTC service on new number

Rather like the many lucky fttp posts on here , id like to port my number to a voip provider .

Unlike them , I’m on FTTC, so I need to keep my copper pair , but I want a new number on it ...
Is it possible to port a number out without ceasing service .... customer services said No , but I’m not sure I explained myself (;-)) satisfactorily.... here’s hoping as alternative seems to be move whole broadband service to a new provider who offers voip too, and then (renumber /port to voip) when in their system
TIA
Ea.
21 REPLIES 21
Earlyadopter
Hooked

Re: FTTC Number port to VOIP , keep FTTC service on new number

Should have added ... don’t want to leave Dear PlusNet after 10+ years if I don’t have to....
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Home Phone.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

here’s hoping as alternative seems to be move whole broadband service to a new provider who offers voip too, and then (renumber /port to voip) when in their system

@Earlyadopter I believe it's technically possible to do a renumber&port to voip but AFAIK there is only one supplier who's willing to offer that option ( A & A ). I'd be pretty sure that PlusNet's systems don't provide the option for that type of order.

There is another option which may be worth considering, that is some voip providers will permit you to specify the CLI to be used on outgoing calls. You need to demonstrate that you have the 'rights' to the number.

So in my case, for instance, I have a dual landline/IP DECT phone, incoming landline calls ring the phone and outgoing calls are made automatically via voip and present my landline CLI.

My voip account is with https://www.localphone.com/ , all they require to set the CLI is a copy of a recent phone bill

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Earlyadopter
Hooked

@Mr W
Thanks for those thoughts , yes it’s A&A who I’m talking to .
I like your outbound CLI solution ... good suggestion and would be a good start.
actually ,it’s the incoming I’m struggling with as the pain is the ( very cheap) PSTN to SIP bridge I’ve deployed which has rather weedy sound quality and she who must be obeyed is getting the right hump ( and won’t move over to the shiny new VOIP geo number) as she “likes” the old one.

It just feels a bit baby and bath water to switch all services to another provider just to release a landline number to the voip cloud.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Earlyadopter I use one of these https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/search/?q=n300&t=461&sort=1#content.

Yes, they aren't cheap, but it just works! It handles both landline and voip seamlessly. I have dialplans set to route some outgoing calls ( like other PN numbers and 0800 ) which are free, to the landline and others go out on voip. SWMBO doesn't need to know anything about voip or landline , she just dials and it sorts it out...

As regards A & A, I use them for SIP trunks on the office PBX. Their support is second to none and for voip they're not expensive,  whereas for BB they are!. I still use localphone on the office PBX for outgoing calls though, their call charges are better than A & A

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

First of all thanks for your loyalty and welcome to our community forums.

Unfortunately what you're wanting to do may be tricky, because if you port your number to a VoIP provider, then ultimately the line we're providing will cease and your broadband service along with it.

If we instead first renumber your line to a different number, then the number you want would cease and I believe that the number will need to be active in order for you to port it to a VoIP provider.

While not ideal* a workaround may be to port your number out, allowing your services to cease and account to close, then sign up a new account at http://www.plus.net where we should be able to simply reactivate the recently ceased phone line usually within 1 working day, then place your fibre broadband back on the line although this does take a 5 working days depending on engineer availability too. 

*Two possible issues I see here is the inevitable downtime you'll experience, also in the interim period between the line ceasing/reactivating and placing the fibre order, there may not be any capacity at the cabinet left, i.e. the port you were on may be taken up by another line. (Got first hand experience regarding that last point with my own line a few years ago)

Or, sign up a new account before the old account ceases, installing a new line/fibre service at your address then once that's up and running, port your number to VoIP ceasing the previous line and service as part of the process.

Though this option will incur a £49.99 line installation fee plus there may be some overlap where you're paying for two lines at the same time. That said there are no spare pairs/lines showing at your address so it's likely installing a second line will go to a survey and a lot of engineering work needed which may take weeks or months.

Sorry for the long post and that there doesn't seem to be a straightforward solution, unless VoIP providers can use ceased numbers? It may be worth contacting one to ask.

Feel free to let me know the above doesn't make sense or if you have any questions etc.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf I believe there is a 'Renumber with Number Export' option somewhere. This https://www.revk.uk/2016/04/number-porting-broadband-and-voip.html is interesting reading when/if you've got a few spare moments (about when the next blue moon occurs I guess) Grin

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's an interesting article, but unfortunately the options we have available to us via our WLR system are:Renumber line.PNG

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It doesn't surprise me but thanks for looking.. I would guess that A & A use some special hidden option.

Given that they supply VoIP as well as bb it's probably worth their while providing the facility.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries.

Last night shortly after your post I emailed the suppliers of the WLR system we use(Which is essentially a layer over the Openreach systems) and not long after I received a reply back advising the functionality isn't built into their systems due to a lack of demand, but they should be able to fulfill requests for this on an ad-hoc basis, placing the "Renumber with Number Export" themselves.

@Earlyadopter, if you would like to go ahead with this option feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help, though from reading the article and from what I've been advised by our suppliers, there is a chance that things may go wrong and the line ceases anyway. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf above and beyond the call thereSmiley

and from what I've been advised by our suppliers, there is a chance that things may go wrong and the line ceases anyway. 

sounds about par for the course where BTw & OR are concernedRoll_eyes

I suspect it might be difficult to correlate the renumber order with the order to transfer the 'exported' number. Probably easier for the likes of A & A where they are placing both orders. In @Earlyadopter s case the transfer order will be to another provider.

If I were him, I'd stick with status quo...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah it sounds similar to when we'd place a simultaneous phone and broadband order, where we're just doing the broadband side of things and the phone order is placed by another provider. Both us and the other provider would need to use the same LORN (Linked Order Reference Number) or the order will fail.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Earlyadopter
Hooked

@Gandalf

thanks for this and to @MisterW  for his v. helpful thoughts/ advice

ref the 49.99 .. would be nice to avoid, there should still be a pair there 

I used to have 2 liens, in fact I sued to have 2 * ISDN2  so i definitely had not only 2 paiurs bbut t 2pauirs all the way to exchange!

that said I understand from your colleague that once off for more than a few months BTO assume its not there / was never there !

.. looking at options.

Earlyadopter
Hooked

@Gandalf

could you give me a call to discuss (on mobile) or PM me.?

Thanks in advance