Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO Plusnet staff - Engaged tone - Ringback option

shamus
Grafter

FAO Plusnet staff - Engaged tone - Ringback option

Hi,
#76661208 was raised to remove the ringback option when I get an engaged tone. The ticket was closed stating "The call feature ring back is not currently active on your phone service".
Just for the sake of clarity - I know I do not have the ringback call feature. What I would like removed is the voice prompt on an engaged tone that encourages people to use the ringback service. Could you advise if this is possible or not?
Many thanks.
29 REPLIES 29
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: FAO Plusnet staff - Engaged tone - Ringback option

Yes, you need to speak to all your contacts and tell them they need to contact their phone supplier to disable the ringback service.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shamus
Grafter

Jelv, was that meant to be a constructive post?
When I was with BT all I got was an engaged tone, no announcement encouraging me to spend more money. If possible I would like the message removed... Dont see that this has anything to do with the recipient of the call.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You've already been told that call feature ring back is not active on your line so when you make calls you shouldn't hear the message.
When other people ring your number it depends on whether they have the ring back feature enabled on their line for them to hear the message.
The only way you could stop them getting the message if they have the feature active is to have your service terminated, then they'd get number unobtainable instead of the message.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think "ring back feature not active" probably means the £2.50 per month option allowing as many uses as required at no additional cost. Without that ring back is still available but costs 10p per use. I assume it is that option the OP is asking to be disabled.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Ah with it now!
I've just found this which suggest that it might be possible (or at least was in 2009): http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=26888919&postcount=3
Edit: and this suggests it's still an available option: http://www.postoffice.co.uk/sites/default/files/Line_and_Feature_%20rentals_v14.pdf as they also use BTw.
Edit 2: Definitely still available: http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=EwnpVKiM8jvUpu...
The problem is going to be getting PN to understand what you are asking for and doing it!
shamus
Grafter

Thanks for the responses guys.
Jelv, apologies, I thought you were being sarcy - Clearly it was my failure in explaining the problem  Embarrassed
To try and be a bit clearer... This is only for outbound calls that I make on my plusnet phone line and the called number is engaged. Since moving from BT, I now hear the engaged tone and also a voice over telling me I can use the ring back service. If possible I would like to hear the engaged tone only.
I don't necessarily want the ability to use ring back disabled, I just don't want to be encouraged to spend more money.
The Openreach "Removal of Ring Back Prompt Only " looks like it might be exactly what I want - Thanks Jelv.
Plusnetters - is it possible to request this on my line?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's the "Removal of Ring Back Prompt Only " which is shown in the OpenReach price list I linked that I think you want - but I'm not sure if that means the ring back feature is not available at all or if you can just dial 5 when you hear the engaged tone.
shamus
Grafter

Thanks again Jelv... Edited my post above to put all info in one place.
I don't mind either way if the ring back function is disabled or not...
Hopefully a kind Plusnet staffer will pick this up tomorrow and advise if it is possible to request the "Removal of Ring Back Prompt Only ".
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just taken a look at the back end control panel and as you already know, the 'Ring back' option isn't selected. The voice prompt is also not selected either. I've had a wonder through all of the other settings and changes that we could make for different features but unfortunately there isn't any other options that come close to this I'm afraid.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Chris
Look at http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=EwnpVKiM8jvUpu...
There is an free option "Removal of Ring Back Prompt Only" - that is what he wants. This option has to be selected to turn it off (the default if for it to be on). It may not be built in to your system but that shouldn't mean he can't have it.
Is this something Ben needs to take a look at?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That option doesn't appear in our control panel on the supplier system. There is one called 'ring back inhibit' that might do the trick but we want to check that it's not going to charge incorrectly before applying it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think that is something different:
[quote=http://www.sinet.bt.com/354v4p2.pdf]An associated service, ring back inhibit, allows customers to prevent the use of BT Ring Back on calls to their number.
That looks to do what I thought he was asking for at first, prevents people calling him from being given the ring back option.
Edit: <cynic>I'm not surprised BT make it difficult to find the option as it potentially reduces their income</cynic>
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

That's what we think, however, we'd like to check it isn't going to be a chargeable feature if we were to add it (according to the list it isn't, we'd rather make sure though).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you look at the price list I linked it is shown as a different option in the list to the one that he wants (it is shown in there as free).