cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extortionate Land-Line Call Rates

dejjones
Rising Star

Extortionate Land-Line Call Rates

Have just been looking at the increased prices coming on Dec 3rd.

To make a 1 minute call after Dec 3rd will cost 38p, if it is not included in any call package.

I can make the same 1 minute call over VOIP for 0.5p, which means that the true cost of such a call is less than 0.5p.

I don't understand how OFCOM has allowed Plusnet (and all other home phone providers) to ramp up these charges over the last few years when the actual cost has been falling through the floor. Can anyone explain this?

6 REPLIES 6
abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Re: Extortionate Land-Line Call Rates

Hi @dejjones, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with our recent price refresh. In order for us to be able to continue to invest and improve our customer experience and products, we unfortunately need to make a very small increase on what we charge for some services. We wouldn't do this if we didn't' believe it would allow us to improve the products and services we offer to customers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you do a deal when renewing your contract it is always the broadband element that is discounted. This is saying to me that the line rental element is subsidising the broadband service.

The solution is either to use mobile, voip or have a call package for telephone calls

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1 is spot on. If you have VOIP do you really need the landline element? I haven't used a landline since I joined PN. Shop around. For instance, I get unlimited phone call minutes even on a fairly cheap mobile deal. There are plenty of similar offerings out there.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

dejjones
Rising Star

Thanks for the comments, but I obviously didn't make my point clearly enough.

I wasn't looking for an alternative call provider; I already make most of my calls via Localphone (0.5p/min landlines, 1.8p/min for mobile calls).

I was trying to understand how Plusnet are allowed to have such ludicrous call prices, when everything is supposedly regulated by OFCOM. What do OFCOM actually regulate?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Your point was clearly understood. Whatever it is that Ofcom regulates, or should regulate, it's not prices.

Where there are plenty of alternatives it is reasonable in my opinion for every deal to simply have a willing buyer and a willing seller.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'