cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended outage & call divert

jorvikmik
Grafter

Extended outage & call divert

A neighbour lost phone & broadband on the 7th and ticket wasraised on the 8th. Lightning strike and master socket badly burnt. We are on a small island and half of phone customers including myself had faults which BT have mostly rectified. But BT sent a text to an island business user stating that Openreach have declared the island as a 'matter beyond our reasonable control' so the outlook isn't promising.
The breakdown in service is not Plusnets fault and is just due to the stormy weather which is just one of those things that happen.
I phoned the helpline last night and was told that call divert was free but had to be requested by the customer.
Now reading the forum we understand that unlike BT it is a chargeable service by Plusnet, which makes the BT service look more attractive.

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Extended outage & call divert

call divert is free but the calls are charged and this can get expensive specially if they are to a mobile
jorvikmik
Grafter

Hi Jim
Is that calls to the landline diverted to the mobile are charged at mobile rates?
If so then a few living here are going to have to go back to BT as they are living alone and some of them not in the best of health.
During bad weather we try to keep a regular check on neighbours but not if we thought that they were going to be charged at mobile rates for us calling them. 
Three of the islands plusnet customers are first responders (we have no ambulance service on the island) and they would definitley be better off with BT
Mick
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is correct and is one of the big drawbacks to having the phone with Plusnet compared to BT
jorvikmik
Grafter

I personally only changed my Phone line to Plusnet over a BT 24 hour delay in diverting my calls during an outage a couple of years ago.
We have just been looking at BT prices for the phone network. Unlimited calls and 12 month line rental in advance.  Got to see what the plusnet charge will be for the broadband package only.
I would prefer to keep my broadband with plusnet and just revert the phone to BT but wonder if this would happen without  a cockup to the broadband service which I have had with plusnet for the last 7 years.
It wouldn't be a total diisaster if I lost broadband for a short while as I am in wireless range of my sons plusnet broadband which I set up for him, in fact I get a stronger signal from his router.
My own phone is working ok so I'll wait until after the holiday period and have a go at the changeover
Any ideas which department handles just the phone transfer
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Moving your phone to BT will probably add £2.50 per month to your broadband bill
To move the phone only all you need to do is to place the order with BT and everything will happen automatically
There is no need to contact Plusnet although you might like to consider calling customer options as they may well offer you a deal to keep the phone with Plusnet - it won't include a free divert to mobile though
Contact details are
   0800 013 2632
   0330 123 9197
   8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
   9am - 7pm Saturday
   9am - 6pm Sunday
There is another option however - add 100 mobile minutes for an extra £3 per month and that combined with not getting hit with a £2.50 per month broadband charge and getting a better overall deal may swing it to keeping it with Plusnet, However I can't see any way of doing that https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/tariffs/anytime
jorvikmik
Grafter

Thanks for that Jim - The 100 mins at £3 I'll set up on the sons line as his partner phones him regular when he is at sea so that will bring his bill down.
I have one of the legacy bradband packages with plusnet which includes internet phone so I suppose it would be free for calls to be diverted to that line. Never even thought of that until I read your reply and if that works then there will be no problem. I only ever think of using the internet phone when there is a phone fault but folk never seem to try me on that line when the house phone fails.