cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expensive call to unrecognised number

melanie_nolan

Expensive call to unrecognised number

Hi,

I've been charged 4.68 for a call to a number that i don't recognise and an internet search isn't bringing anything up. Is there a way to find out if it's to a company that doesn't involve dialling it? I don't want to be charged again.

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Expensive call to unrecognised number

Hi @melanie_nolan thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to see there's a charge for a call you don't recognise on your bill. I've also done an internet search (Google) and I can't find out who the number belongs to. I've also tested your line and there's no sign of a crossed line fault, which would mean that your line is crossed with another's and whatever calls they make end up on your bill.

I've taken the plunge and decided to ring the number, but it seems to be just a continuous beeping sound. I can see you've since added call barring on your line although I'm not confident this will help without barring all local numbers from being made as the number that you've supposedly called is 03 which are charged at the same rate as 01 and 02.

Do you have any equipment connected into your phone socket or router like an alarm system? If you don't have anything apart from your router and phone handset plugged in and just normal computers/laptops/wireless devices connected to your router, do you mind me asking what make and model handset you have?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
melanie_nolan

Thanks for your reply.
The handset is a eurotel elite 2825 twin. There’s no other equipment besides the normal devices you’d expect. 
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @melanie_nolan 

We've rang the number again and we've got through to someone, I think when we tried yesterday evening the line may have been closed at the time. We didn't find out much information apart from the company name, as you've not added the number publicly I've created a ticket on your account with the name of the company you can view Here.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
melanie_nolan

This is looking very fishy to me. I've never heard of that company before and the number listed on their website (when Googled) is different to the one in question. Is it possible that it is some kind of scam?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @melanie_nolan 

It's possible it may be a scam, although for a call charge to appear on your bill if there's no evidence of a crossed line, the number would've likely been called from a phone handset plugged into your line.

Is there anyone else in your house who may have called this number?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IXG011
Dabbler

If you are prepared to share publicly the phone number (supposedly) called, other people could investigate and come up with ideas.