cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex Directory

Ron140

Ex Directory

I changed from BT to Plusnet about 16 months ago, and everything has been great, and much cheaper than BT. However, recently I had cause to look up an entry in that Phone Book (BT's online version), and was shocked to find that II am now ex-directory. Having been inundated by 'cold calling' I now allow all calls from unidentified numbers to go to my answering machine. No doubt many of my friends and acquaintances do the same. I had no idea that I was ex-directory, and have phoned Plusnet to remedy this. I was told that Plusnet has a policy whereby all new home phone accounts are ex-directory. If this was available information during the signing-up process, then I missed it. Do correspondents agree that this should be advertised and made a specific question for a new member signing up. I fear that I may have missed the next printed edition of the Phone Book. This is really quite annoying.
Ron
7 REPLIES 7
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Ex Directory

It is in PN's T&Cs but you have to hunt for it:
What we provide
The service we agree to give you includes:

• installation or takeover and rental of a fixed Plusnet telephone line;

• the facility to make or receive a phone calls including the ability to send or receive information, for example, from computers using your telephone line;

• we will provide you with a Call Allowance and;

• one phone number for each fixed telephone line that you rent from us, which we will make ex-directory unless you tell us not to. If you wish to change your directory status, please contact us in writing via the Help Assistant.

Personally, I prefer to be ex-directory and I can't think of the last time I had to look up someone's private number.  You obviously feel differently but I don't understand:
Quote from: Ron140
and was shocked to find that II am now ex-directory. Having been inundated by 'cold calling' I now allow all calls from unidentified numbers to go to my answering machine. No doubt many of my friends and acquaintances do the same.

Being in the directory makes you more likely to get cold calls...
Ron140

Hi... I have been signed up to the Telephone Preference Service for years, but it simply does not work. I agree it is possible that being in the directory might increase the number of nuisance calls, but I also believe these calls are generated by machinery which simply calls every possible number. This will account for the huge number of 'silent' calls, where the machine is calling hundreds of numbers every second, but cannot cope with the number of replies generated.
Anyhow, thanks for your interest.
Ron Smiley
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi
When I signed onto Plusnet this policy wasn't in place. And I assumed that my ex directory number would be kept that way when I transferred in.
My phone had been ex-directory for nearly 20 years and we had very few sales calls in that time. When Plusnet took over the phone line, the number was published and within a week, we were getting 5 or more cold calls a day. On a hunch, I googled my number and was shocked that it was in multiple directories. A complaint to Plusnet and the number was made ex-directory again and the UK directories removed it within the week.
But the damage was done and I had to buy a call blocker and now ignore any number I don't know.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ron140,
I can see that there's an order to change your directory entry to Ordinary (Phonebook, Online, 118) and this is due to be completed on 23/04/2014.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Stranger
Rising Star

Newbie here not wanting to open another thread just seeking assurance that I am correct in concluding that my number will be ex-directory from the get go when I go live with PN (provisionally 15th May)?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I can confirm that your order will be placed as ex-directory.
Stranger
Rising Star

Thankyou Chris  Smiley