Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evening 69 minute call charged a connection fee

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Evening 69 minute call charged a connection fee

A UK 01 call made on 31st July at 2315 and lasting 68mins 55 secs was initially showing as costing 27p (correct) now showing as 32p ie a connection fee has been added (31.5p) rounded to 32p. NOT Correct. Is this a new problem?
26 REPLIES 26
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Evening 69 minute call charged a connection fee

I think I read that unconfirmed calls are displayed excluding the set-up fee but once confirmed the set-up fee is included.
The tariff list says that there is a set-up fee for non-inclusive calls. As 8 mins of the call were charged the call was not inclusive. (Although I can see the argument that there was no need to set up the call for the 61st minute as you were already connected).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would say hard luck, the recommendation is to hang up at 59 min then reconnect
Anotherone
Champion

If you read the Help and Support Home Phone Call Charges guide
it clearly states -
Inclusive calls have a maximum duration of 60 minutes for national numbers, 30 minutes for international numbers (Anytime+ only). After this, calls are charged for at the standard rates (see Home Phone Tariff Guide and the PlusNet Essential Tariff Guide), though a setup fee1 and 2will not apply.
There would therefore appear to be a bug in the charging system. You may also wish to note that neither BT, Talktalk, Ontel or AFAIK non of the other major providers charge a connection fee when you go over the inclusive duration.
Whilst I am usually on the ball and hang up and redial (oh for my old digital watch which had a countdown timer!) on this occasion I was too busy gasbagging Roll_eyes and accept that a 27p charge is due, but that is no excuse or reason for a bug in the charging system.
James
Grafter

Hi guys,
Sorry - I haven't actually been ignoring this thread (thanks Chris :P).  I've just been looking into what should and what does actually happen.
By design, the call setup fee is added to all chargeable calls, although I appreciate and understnad that "setup" suggests that this should only apply to the start of the call, which isn't being charged for.
I'll keep investigating and see what I can do.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi James, have PN fixed this issue?
Regards.
James
Grafter

Sorry, I forgot to report back.
Basically it's working as per design.  A "setup" fee is applied to all chargeable calls.  We currently have no plans to change this, but I'll certainly make the suggestion when the Home Phone refresh comes along.
paulby
Grafter

@Jameseh
If it's working as per design, perhaps PN should amend this page in the support pages which states that no set up fee will be charged for inclusive calls that go over 60 mins.  As quoted above:
"Inclusive calls have a maximum duration of 60 minutes for national numbers, 30 minutes for international numbers (Anytime+ only). After this, calls are charged for at the standard rates (see Home Phone Tariff Guide and the PlusNet Essential Tariff Guide), though a setup  fee1 and 2 will not apply." (my bold)

Edit: formatting (corrected italic tags)
Anotherone
Champion

Here here. It's not doing what it says on the tin (nor what I signed up to!) as I said in post #3, nor do any of the major players BT, TalkTalk etc. charge a connection fee if you go over the 60 minutes (or 70 in the case of TalkTalk). Come on James, tell someone to sort it please.
Not applicable

Its does very clearly state that calls which are free for the first 60mins will not attract a setup fee.
If the billing system is working to design, then PN have a problem; they've sold a product on the basis of a specific guidelines, and now they appear to be wrong.
They've either missold the product, or they have a bug in the billing system - which is the easier pill to swallow?
James
Grafter

I'll try an get a definitive answer.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh

Lets us hope the 'definitve answer' is not different to 'what was advertised'. Look up the term 'Invitation to Treat' with respect to selling goods and services.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and hows my 03 call charge progressing, not had an answer, just my money back  (Twice)  Lips_are_sealed Undecided Angry Sad Embarrassed Cry
coastergrotto
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh

James, we are still waiting for your definite answer.
James
Grafter

Yep, apologies, I'm still waiting on this myself Smiley
Our Products Team have been working on hardware as their main priority recently, but for the time being, calls over 60 minutes will be charged a setup fee.
This may be something that we will look at under Home Phone product refresh but in the meantime I suggest that you hang up calls before an hour has passed.