cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entry in Phone Book

Penny67

Entry in Phone Book

I have just found out that Plusnet automatically puts it's customers as ex-directory in the BT Phone Book, without asking what they prefer. I was told that this is because "most customers" want to be ex-directory! However, for me, I work from home, with elderly people who often don't use the internet, and I rely on them being able to find my name in the phone book - a lot of my work comes through word of mouth. So now I'm in a situation that for a whole year (until it is reprinted) my name and contact number will not be available there - which I'm obviously not very happy about. And all for the sake of asking one simple question when you sign up to Plusnet for your phone package. Can I suggest that this is changed in the future. It can affect people like me significantly.
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Entry in Phone Book

Hi there,
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. I can see you've called up and an order has been placed to add a directory entry for you, this should complete after the weekend. Sorry that the default configuration wasn't what you were after.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Perhaps it would have been a courtesy for pn to ask penny's preference.
Have to say I was already ex-directory (at least in theory - still waiting for a new publication) and, for what it's worth, have every intention of staying that way.
Just a thought though. I trust that pn's action won't amount to a double click, i.e. put me back in!
normcall
Dabbler

I'm sure I ticked the box for an entry in the phone book, but it seems it didn't happen and so unless I tell people, no-one knows my new number (had old number on divert so not discovered until it ran out!!). Strange system if you are asked but ignored. Any chance of it happening?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

The BT website states they will only send copies of the Phone Book to their own customers - others will have to ask their own phone service provider. So how does one ask Plusnet for a Phone Book? - I can't see anywhere on the website (including my account) where this is possible.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I don't believe it is possible to order a phone book online I'm afraid.

If you private message me with your username I will send your request to the relevant department next week.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thank you for your PM @NorthPole.

I've raised your request to issue you with a phone book

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
normcall
Dabbler

I see that ex directory is still the standard. I asked a few months ago to change it so that any can actually find me, but so far it seems I'm still invisible unless I actually physically provide it. I don't want a phone book, just an entry so we can be found (we moved last March and although we notified most, quiet a few have lost the number/paper and so have no chance!

Just how does one get it changed from ex directory (still get automated calls about PPI or an accident I may or may not have had so being ex-directory is a little pointless)?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hello @normcall

Apologies that I missed your request above. I've now sent an order to BT to update the directory entry for your number to be recorded in the phone book.

This order should complete within 24 hours, however, things probably won't change until the next time the phone book is published.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@Anoush wrote:

Hello @normcall

....... however, things probably won't change until the next time the phone book is published.

....... but the phone number may well appear before then in the BT online directory enquiry service?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yeah, that's true.