cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downtime for caller display?

g1000
Grafter

Downtime for caller display?

Before I moved over to Plusnet I was told the phone switchover would be smooth with no noticeable downtime and I was assured repeatedly that caller display was no problem whatsoever - if I ordered online I just needed to select the caller display add on.
Well, guess what - I ordered but no such option was there (other call features were)
I had to raise a ticket to try and order it, and was told it didn't work like that, I had to manually monitor it then add it on myself after switchover of phone
My phone was switched over this morning, I logged into the control panel at 6am, did the add on. It says this will be activated on the next working day (not up to): do I really have to wait this long?
12 REPLIES 12
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Downtime for caller display?

Hi - caller display went active 7 minutes after the order was placed early this morning.
I'm hearing rumblings about something not quite right with caller display on provision orders. If people can help me identify where things are going wrong it would be very beneficial - the option should be available in sign up, can anyone provide a screen shot with it missing?
g1000
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
Hi - caller display went active 7 minutes after the order was placed early this morning.

Thanks, that's good news. I'm not personally at the property today. It would have been nice if the support staff I rang up long after 7 minutes (the wait alone was 25 minutes) to check when it would be active just told me it was active already! The control panel still says awaiting activation and it seems it was incorrect to say "on the next working day".
Quote from: Ben
I'm hearing rumblings about something not quite right with caller display on provision orders. If people can help me identify where things are going wrong it would be very beneficial - the option should be available in sign up, can anyone provide a screen shot with it missing?

My friend ordered recently too. He somehow did have a caller display option and ordered this plus other features. On switchover he found they hadn't been ordered and he had to do it again manually anyway.
I can try to replicate my sign up screen, what phone/address details should I put though?
g1000
Grafter

The complete list of calling feature add-ons is simply not there for me, BUT
If I select "No thanks, I don't want a phone" - the page updates. If I then deselect that option, the page updates once more and the add-ons then magically appear.

(Like i said before: I raised a ticket within 10 minutes of sign up requesting caller display to be ordered, and was told they were unable to order till the phone was active anyway. And my friend ordered it at signup but he still didn't get it either. This needs to be addressed obviously too)
gofaster
Rising Star

I had to wait until my phone was active to add caller-id.
When I did, I received the email confirming it was active within 10 minutes. That was on 3rd March,but the Control Panel still says Awaiting activation.  Crazy
I don't want to complain too loudly about this as caller-id is working just fine and I don't appear to be being charged for it yet.  Cheesy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: gofaster
caller-id is working just fine and I don't appear to be being charged for it yet.

Ah, 'free caller-id', that might have been just enough for me to have kept my telephone line with Plusnet.  Wink
Interestingly, when I migrated my telephone line rental to Zen* at the beginning of the year (it had caller display previously with Plusnet and was requested at sign-up with Zen) mine too failed and had to be manually activated.
I suspect there may be a problem with BT Wholesale / Openreach (whichever one it is) handling of caller display activation / transfer.
*I only mention them in case it is relevant to this discussion.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I don't think this is a BT issue, I think it's an issue on our side. I just need a little more info and ideally some screenshots to find out where the problem is
g1000
Grafter

Screenshot of signup
http://s8.postimg.org/hm6d224x1/plusnet_before.png
Screenshot after selecting then deselecting "No thanks, I don't want a phone"
http://s8.postimg.org/jf99qdq3p/plusnet_after.png
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks g1000, I've sent the screenshots to the right person to determine if this is by design or not and we'll get a problem raised if appropriate.
g1000
Grafter

I'm happy to help, but I had presumed you checked this for yourself and couldn't replicate the missing option?
I also think it is clearly a problem that should be fixed even if someone says it was intentional.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've heard back, it is intentional because our research has shown that customers prefer the sign up journey when only presented with voicemail options and not other call features. This isn't based on opinions, it's based on comparing the volumes of customers completing the signup journey when presented with, or without features.
I understand that this is causing pain to customers and CSC, so the relevant parties have been made aware and this will be considered in any future changes.
I didn't test this myself as unfortunately my time is hard pressed and this particular issue isn't within my sphere of responsibility. I don't want to pass the buck on any issue - hence my responses - but I have to ensure my time covers my day job first.
g1000
Grafter

In other words people backed out of joining Plusnet when they saw they had to pay for caller display etc, so Plusnet prefer to keep it hidden.
My time is hard pressed also and it is not my day job either, by the way!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good to see we can work together to find answers Smiley