cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a new phone line order involve an active line takeover?

saifur
Dabbler

Does a new phone line order involve an active line takeover?

Hi - Several weeks ago I signed up with PlusNet fibre and phone, following troubles with ordering the same with Sky (migrating from Tesco). Sky had cancelled the order as they were unable to port my exisitng number across. The recommendation from other family members was to try PlusNet.
PlusNet were unable to port the number also, as exchange records indicated that Sky had indeed taken it from Tesco. So the recommendation from PlusNet was to order a new line with a new number which would be the fastest route to get connected again. Otherwise, I'd have to wait for Sky to release the number.
So I happily progressed - hoping there was at least light at the end of the tunnel.
PlusNet subsequently arranged for OpenReach to attend last week, but OR were unable to setup the new line. At the time, I had trouble understanding why OR would be attempting something I understood to be an 'active line takeover', when in fact it was an order for a new line?
Records indicated that the 'line' (maybe wrong terminology, but cabinet ports were also mentioned) was owned by Sky apparantly? But surely as it's a new line, it shouldn't matter which CP currently manages the exisitng line as the new line would be totally independant from it?
PlusNet have arranged for OpenReach to attend tomorrow morning to attempt this again.
But something which concerns me is that I have received an email from Sky on Monday stating that my phone line had been activated. This was contrary to what they had advised me previously (that they cancelled the order as they couldn't port the number!).
Am I in for even more trouble tomorrow now that Sky have done this? A cancellation request has been put though at Sky, as I never consented to them installing this, but understand this may take days!
Again, the order with PlusNet is for a new line, even though it is a new line is it standard practice for an 'active line takeover'?
Is there anything PlusNet can do in advance of the OR engineer attending tomorrow? Maybe to at least inform them of what's going on so that they can plan their visit accordingly?
Kids are going crazy at home as no internet for over a month!  Embarrassed
Any advice / help much appreciated. My account name is as per username.
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Does a new phone line order involve an active line takeover?

A new line should be just that - BTO don't know that you're intending to cease the Sky line and there's nothing to stop you having multiple lines from multiple providers.
Sounds like they've got their wires crossed(!) and were trying to take the easy route.
saifur
Dabbler

Thanks pwatson - yep, that's what I thought would happen with a new line installation.
Edit: Just had a call from Engineer who's coming after lunch.. fingers crossed x.
saifur
Dabbler

Just received:
Your fibre order has now been placed and I have booked the appointment for 23/03/2015 between 8 AM and 1 PM.  Embarrassed

That's like a good 10 days away!
Sorry for posting my experience on here, it's just that it takes sooo long to get through to someone on the phone!
PN is it possible for an earlier appointment.. or at least put me on Standard ADSL before the 23rd?
Thanks
joclark
Grafter

Unfortunately the appointments are booked on a live system, you will have been allocated the closest date. We would not be able to bring the appointment forward.
Jo
saifur
Dabbler

Patiently waited for the appointment Jo.. engineer arrived but did not install the fibre.
As it's fibre related.. continuing topic http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137934.0.html.