cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Phone Troubleshooter / Line Test actually work?

Kess
Hooked

Does Phone Troubleshooter / Line Test actually work?

Hi,

I've had problems with a noisy line in recent weeks and tried running the Plusnet phone troubleshooter several times.  Every single time, after running for about 30 seconds, the test goes to a not-very-helpful "Oops, something seems to have gone wrong" page.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Does Phone Troubleshooter / Line Test actually work?

I can't see any reason why the phone troubleshooter wouldn't be working for you.

Testing your line isn't finding a fault, so I've sent a ticket over to you with what would be needed for the next steps, you can see that here: https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

Once you've replied, let us know and we'll pick it up.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kess
Hooked

I've just tried the troubleshooter again and still get the "Oops" message, even with just a phone plugged directly into the master socket.

I've tried the things in your video but still hear background noise (like someone rustling a packet of crisps at the other end of the line), even when running a quiet line test.  It does look like I have a genuine line fault.

Chris
Legend

Can you reply to the fault ticket with the info requested and we'll get an engineer arrange:  https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=134834599

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kess
Hooked

Hi,

I updated the support ticket a couple of days ago to request an engineer visit but haven't had any response or indication that the request has been noted.  Could you please check I've done the request correctly?

Thanks

Chris
Legend

I've just booked in an engineer and confirmed this on the ticket to you.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Apologies for butting in. May I just ask, how is it working out?

TIA

Kess
Hooked

I never got the online troubleshooter / line test to work.  Our phone line is noisier than ever, and broadband is now dropping out for no reason, not just when a phone call occurs.

I'm still waiting for the engineer to visit (the delay is not Plusnet's fault, we've been busy so postponed the engineer until next Monday).  Hopefully he can fix it.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear you've had to postpone the engineer. Hopefully they'll be able to get it sorted for you during the visit on Monday.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Kess
Hooked

All sorted (hopefully).  

The Openreach engineer came, and at first there didn't seem to be any problem (the line was quiet).  However, he plugged his kit into our phone socket and detected a break 287m away (i.e. in the cabinet down the road).  He dashed off, fixed that, then came back.  Impressively, he then got his ladder to check the connections in the junction box where the phone line meets the wall of our house, and found they were a bit corroded so sorted that too.

So far so good - I can now make a phone call without the broadband dying!  It will be interesting to see what speed the broadband achieves in the next few days as it's been limping along at about 10Mbps due to all the drop-outs.

So many thanks to Plusnet and Openreach.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to hear it's been a positive experience with the engineer visit.

Hopefully DLM will bounce the broadband speed back to where it should be soon enough.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your side of things.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Kess
Hooked

Oh dear, the noise has come back already. Sad

I'll give it a couple of days, but if I do want to call the engineer back should I use the existing ticket or raise a new ticket?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear the noise has come back Sad

I'd recommend responding via the existing ticket. It should remain open for 14 days to allow a response if the problem hasn't been resolved, before it closes off automatically if you don't respond.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet