cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to pay for Plusnet Voicemail if I have a stand-alone answering m/c?

Scooterman999
Rising Star

Do I need to pay for Plusnet Voicemail if I have a stand-alone answering m/c?

My BT Paragon desktop (old-fashioned) has a built-in answering machine.  However it appears impossible to set an outgoing message that allows callers to leave a message.  Is this because I'm not subscribed to PlusNet's Voicemail (which was free with Talktalk, so I resent having to pay extra)?
13 REPLIES 13
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Do I need to pay for Plusnet Voicemail if I have a stand-alone answering m/c?

The phones messages have NOTHING to do with PN. PN DOES supply a free 1571 package you only pay for the "super" version of it.
I would check the phone again.
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Re: Do I need to pay for Plusnet Voicemail if I have a stand-alone answering m/c?

Many thanks Hairy Biker (I'm an aged luxury scooterman - Honda Silverwing - myself).  I had no idea that PN supplied a basic 1571 service.  It doesn't seem to be switched on, so I will make further investigations.  I just assumed, seeing it on their tariff list, that all forms were chargeable.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Have a look in the phone control panel (on PN) the basic 1571 is there and was free (don't think they have changed it)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

For some reason voicemail(1571) is showing on the account, but the call feature isn't actually on the line, so the home phone control panel will be a little misleading at the moment. I'll make sure this is updated.
In regards to the actual problem you're experiencing, I don't believe it should rely on the voicemail service we can provide as that would defeat the point of it being built in to the phone handset.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

A BT Paragon? If it's the model 200 or 400, there's user guides for those two here (abut 2/3rds the way down the page):
http://telephonesuk.co.uk/answermach.htm
Might help with setting an OGM aswell as enabling the answering & recording function... Smiley
Scooterman999
Rising Star

TO HARRY B
Thank you so much for looking into this for me.  I shall indeed be grateful if you will investigate and rectify why the feature is missing from the line.
However, as a further complication I have received an email from PN support saying "thank you for your order to disconnect the Voicemail feature.  This will take a few days to implement and we will let you know when it's been done".
I have replied saying that I don't want it disconnecting, but it didn't appear to be working anyway and I hadn't made a fuss because I thought it was chargeable which annoyed my wife in particular.  She then mentioned the answerphone built into our BT phone, but as you and Hairy McBiker have pointed out the two are entirely separate.
I am quite happy to have PN's basic voicemail if you can get this going.
Thanks for your interest and help. 
To TWOCVBLOKE
Always wanted one of those cars!  Thanks for your help with the online manuals, but I already have the paper booklet and have tried to programme the OGM feature so that callers can leave a message, but it won't hold that setting, so assume device is faulty.  Anyway from the above you'll see that I'm happy with PN's basic version.
Scooterman999
Rising Star

TO HAIRY McBIKER
Sorry, forgot to acknowledge you further post.  However Harry B (PlusNet staff) is on the case as you will see from his posting.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Scooterman999
To TWOCVBLOKE
Always wanted one of those cars!  Thanks for your help with the online manuals, but I already have the paper booklet and have tried to programme the OGM feature so that callers can leave a message, but it won't hold that setting, so assume device is faulty.  Anyway from the above you'll see that I'm happy with PN's basic version.

Plenty 2CVs on ebay (though getting more expensive year on year, they're classic cars now!!)... Grin
As for the phone, could be a battery inside that's failed, it's usually the downfall of such devices, replaceable though if you're hand with a soldering iron... Smiley
That said I'm not a fan of answering machines (be they a free operator-provided one or one kept in the home) these days, nobody leaves a message, and if they hang on the line long enough, Mr. Dialtone or Mrs. Number Unobtainable Tone leaves a message instead, makes a TAM somewhat pointless... Huh
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Once the account has updated to show it's not actually active you should be able to add it via the member centre Here.
Earlier today I opted to update the account rather than the line as I assumed you wanted to use the built in answer machine on your phone (Providing you could get it working at some point). If 1571 is active on the line, it's likely it would intercept the call prior to the built in system, so the built in system won't actually work if the 1571 system is also active.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Many thanks Harry B.
No, I was only trying to get the built-into-the phone facility working as my wife suddenly remembered that it was there.  We knew we weren't having any service from PN and we didn't pursue that as we objected to paying for it(!). Now understand basic version is free........hooray.  The whole thing started when friends queried why we no longed had a 1571 service.
Anyway, once the service has been removed I will, as you suggest, re-instate via the Control Panel.
Many thanks indeed for your help - much appreciated.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem  Smiley Let me know if it hasn't updated in the next 24/48 hours and I'll get it chased up.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Scooterman999
Rising Star

TO HARRY B
It appears that there is still no 1571 service on our line. 48 hours have elapsed since we last corresponded.  Can you chase it up for us please.
Many thanks.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Apologies for any confusion previously, when I said it would take 24-48 hours to update, this was regarding the incorrect information on your account showing that voicemail was active. This has now updated and it shows voicemail is not on the line.
If you now log in to your account, you should be able to request for the call feature to be added through the home phone control panel Here. Once requested to be added, it can take up to 1 working day to active on the line.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet