cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need an engineer visit?

TA

Do I need an engineer visit?

Hi we are having some building work done at the back of the house and wonder how to find out if this line is active or not as the box has been left as it is when we had a new back door fitted. 

Do we need to book an engineer ? 

The outside cable goes up the back of the house and then onto the telephone mast but we a,so have a BT open reach box which is connected to WiFi/phone 

4 REPLIES 4
TA

Re: Do I need an engineer visit?

That’s the inside 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi TA, thanks for getting in touch via the Community Forums.
I've had a check into our records and can confirm we are only see 1 line active or not to your property. This paired with your photos and mention that your services are currently working hint that either this line is so old and hasn't been used it's no longer on our suppliers systems or could be part of some internal or other providers line/equipment. The thing throwing me off however is your description of this line connecting to your telegraph pole. Can I ask then, is there a second line going from the telegraph pole to your property? (The one providing your services)

TA

Good morning Ben, 

many thanks for your prompt reply. 

There is no other line coming in from the telephone pole,we are unsure  where this box leads to as the openreach box where our phone is plugged in is in the kitchen but the cable from outside feeds into the utility room hence we are not sure whether the line from the telegraph pole is the active one or the openreach connection is. 

If the pole one is inactive we would have the cable removed from the back of our wall. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for getting back to us,

I've discussed this with a couple of colleagues and with what little information we can see, I think that's going to be difficult to advise definitively I'm afraid.

We could arrange an Openreach engineer to visit you to investigate further and clarify however it will very likely come at a cost of £65 for the call out. We would apply this to your account within 90 days of the appointment.

Sorry that there doesn't seem to be another way from our point of view.

If you want to go ahead with an engineer visit feel free to let us know over here and we'll be happy to arrange this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet