cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to tell BT I'm moving to Plus Net Home Phone?

bluebottle

Do I have to tell BT I'm moving to Plus Net Home Phone?

Hi.
I've just signed up for Plus Net Home Phone, and as the title says, I'm wondering if I need to contact BT - or do they get told automatically?
7 REPLIES 7
Assos
Grafter

Re: Do I have to tell BT I'm moving to Plus Net Home Phone?

Nope, BT get told automatically!
Mand
Grafter

Yep, as Assos says, BT will receive a notification from BT Wholesale once the transfer is complete. They should then close off your account automatically.
bluebottle

Oh great - so apart from signing up with Plus Net, I don't have to do anything else?
Cool!
Mand
Grafter

Yep, that's all you need to do. Smiley
mhi
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Yep, that's all you need to do. Smiley

Not quite, Mand! If, as I used to, you pay your BT bills by direct debit, then you should cancel the Direct Debit instruction with your bank after you have paid your final bill from BT. I only got round to this after about six months, when I happened to check the list of direct debits still authorised for my current account.
Other times where I have switched utility suppliers, the old supplier has cancelled their Direct Debit automatically after my last bill is paid. But BT didn't -- your mileage may, of course, vary.
hadden
Grafter

About a fortnight after applying for Home Phone, I got a not unexpected letter from BT: "We are sorry that you no longer wish to use BT Retail for your telephone service", and a phone number in case I've changed my mind.
No chance of me phoning that number, as trying to deal with their call centre was the trigger for me finally moving to Home Phone.
I've got about 10 days to go on my move to Home Phone, and I can't wait.
Mand
Grafter

Yeah, I got the standard letter too.
It's wise to ensure that Direct Debits are cancelled once you have confirmed that you are settled up with any supplier you no longer use. Just to save hassle should they forget and continue to bill you. Wink