Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable SMS voicetext service

iabbott
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Disable SMS voicetext service

I have a plusnet phone package (with caller display). Recently I've been receiving several nuisance voice texts (that I access via 1571).
I'm not interested in having this feature - is it possible to disable the sms /voicetext function so that I can no longer receive any SMS texts sent to my landline?
I did a search on the forum and found a document that mentioned about setting a curfew, but wasn't sure if this only applied to BT landlines as well as plusnet
7 REPLIES 7
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Disable SMS voicetext service

Hi iabbott,
The text feature on your phone isn't a service that is provided by Plusnet so unfortunately we're unable to control this.This may be a feature specific to your handset. I would suggest checking the manual to see how to go about turning this off.
The feature that we provide is the Voicemail (1571) service and we could disable this if you wished for us to do so, however, this would leave you without a Voicemail service on your line completely.
picbits
Rising Star

@iabbot - do you mean the text messages that appear when someone sends a text to your normal landline and it then reads the message out to you ?
Not sure if Linn has got the wrong end of the initial message (or I have !)
iabbott
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. It is not a specific text feature on the phone, but, as DomS suggests it is when someone sends a sms text message to my landline. If I am in, I will pick up the phone and it will read the text out to me, but usually I am out and the 1571 voicemail picks it up.
Is it possible to set up the line so that people can't send me sms messages?
I've had 6 texts to my landline this last week from companies trying to sell me a loan or other product - all from different mobile numbers and it's getting a bit annoying!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

this may help http://www.bt.com/includingyou/calling-easier-unwanted-calls.html#more3
Please Note: other communications providers also offer text to speech services. We suggest you ring the number left on Caller Display or 1471 to identify the number to call for other providers' Text to Speech services.
Of course it may show the BT number in which case the instructions for stopping it may work
iabbott
Dabbler

Ok - that's great. I'll give it a try later when I'm back home.
Although the instructions are for BT, I assume it will also work with PlusNet (who are owned by BT)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

You may be able to stop them or set curfews by calling 0800 587 5252 from the landline you're receiving them on.
iabbott
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies. I called 0800 587 5252 and disabled the service, which seems to have worked.