cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialling 101 for the police isn't free

BRABUS
Grafter

Dialling 101 for the police isn't free

I have just been looking at my phone bill and was surprised to see that I have a call charge of 10p.  Upon looking at it I realise that when I recently called the police to report something in a public spirited manner that I have been charged for calling 101.
It makes me wonder if people are going to be public spirited and call the police (especially if using a mobile phone) when they know it will cost them money.  It is a backward step if you ask me that will discourage people rather than encourage them to ring the police.
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Dialling 101 for the police isn't free

I do agree but I'd willingly spend 10p (or more) to report a crime.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be aware, as with 999 calls, your phone number is probably passed through, even if number with-held.
I reported something using 999 a while back, number with-held, didn't give my details, and they rang me back !!!
It was a legitimate call though.
I know my local Police BT landline number, and ring that, as it's free.
10p is 10p !
+++++
I wrote to GMP around 20 years ago, suggesting a national number that put you through to a local police Force for non Emergency situations.
The Chief Constable wrote back, it's unnecessary he said , you just ring your local Police direct.
How do you do that when travelling in a car.... answer came there none.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The way most Police Forces operate these days is totally different from 20 years ago, and generally speaking, when reporting any crime that has very recently happened or is still in progress, the last thing to do is call your local police station.
If the crime is still in progress or the criminals are in the process of fleeing the scene then 999 should be used.
I agree that 101 being a chargeable call is a disincentive, but it depends on the circumstances I suppose, I'm certainly less inclined to report some things as a result, but as the calls are Free from a Phone Box, I'd do that next time I passed one.
Note that the charge from a Landline or Mobile is per call, no matter how long is lasts.
I am personally annoyed that our Police Force does not have a normal landline number that I can ring, because it would be an inclusive call at those times. Whilst 101 is a good idea, we should be given a choice of which numbers we want to use.
The really good thing about 101 is that you have the choice to be put through to another Police Force (adjacent to your area) which is handy in some circumstances.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Our police stations all have 0845 which are included in my land line minutes.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well ours did as well, but have you rung it lately to see if it still works? Ours has a recorded announcement saying the number is no longer in use and to call 101. So anyway I decided to do some digging and hey look what I've found http://www.police.uk/101/alternative-non-emergency-numbers so that's what I'll be using in evenings and weekends.
@BRABUS
You could edit the title to add - (except from a phonebox).
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Checked out the website and and they are showing 0345 numbers...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'