cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial tone

cbcadmin
Grafter

Dial tone

I picked my phone up the other day and got a funny tone.
Do Plusnet dial tone(s) differ from other providers?

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
14 REPLIES 14
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Dial tone

The simple answer is no. Plusnet's phone service, like that of many other providers is provided by BT Openreach.
Can you try and describe the "funny tone"?
Mav
Fixes: 515

If it's an intermittent dial tone then it's likely you have Plusnet's voicemail turned on and there's a message waiting to be heard. If you dial 1571 are you told there are new messages?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

cbcadmin
Grafter

I haven't requested voicemail.
mav:quote

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
The simple answer is no. Plusnet's phone service, like that of many other providers is provided by BT Openreach.

Odd, as I've never heard the tone before with all the providers I have had over the years.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Even though you haven't requested voicemail, if you dial 1571 does it tell you a message is waiting?
David
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've checked your account and voicemail is active on the account/line.
You can remove it here: https://portal.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=wlr_remove_call_features
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Even though you haven't requested voicemail, if you dial 1571 does it tell you a message is waiting?

No idea, I don't use the phone: only have it for broadband.
How much does 1571 cost?

cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: HarryB
I've checked your account and voicemail is active on the account/line.
You can remove it here: https://portal.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=wlr_remove_call_features

When did I request voicemail?

Mav

If I recall correctly basic voicemail is turned on by default and is free with the phone package. For more advanced features there is a fee to be paid and has to be ordered.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

cbcadmin
Grafter

No doubt it is like mobile phone packages where you are charged to collect voicemail.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

1571 is free and it doesn't cost you to access it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Keeef
Quote from: spraxyt

No idea, I don't use the phone: only have it for broadband.

The corded landline is the most secure access to emergency services in case of flood, power cut etc. I believe mobile phone towers arn't supported by UPS or generators. Also I regularly check the line (quiet line test) for interference which can impact your broadband.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Totally agree, Peter.
For the price of a basic instrument, every home should have one for emergencies.
Good point about the quiet line test too.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Mav

I have an excellent mobile signal for both voice and data but when the power was cut yesterday to enable the new houses across the road to be connected I had hardly any signal and mobile data became useless.