cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial tone but 17070 won’t work - any ideas?

lowey1
Hooked

Dial tone but 17070 won’t work - any ideas?

We seem to have an odd problem with our phone line. 

• There’s a dial tone, but we can’t ring out. We just get ‘this number can’t be recognised’ after a couple of numbers.
  • When I call 17070 there’s just a tone (not the usual dial tone) and no options.
  • I can call 1471, but it always logs as no callers.
  • The phone also isn’t ringing when we ring it.
  • 1571 isn’t working

There was a recognised fault on the line about a week ago which was apparently fixed. Now plusnet and Openreach are saying there’s no fault on the line. 

We’re using a corded phone (very basic) into the master socket. The master socket is very old and there is no test socket inside it. 

Has anyone had this fault / any ideas? 

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14
lowey1
Hooked

Re: Dial tone but 17070 won’t work - any ideas?

Might also be worth mentioning that our internet also isn’t working. Orange light and red flashing broadband light. Openreach are coming to investigate that, but all seem satisfied that there’s no issue with the phone. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@lowey1 Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried a different phone? Alternatively does broadband work if you unplug the phone?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lowey1
Hooked

Thanks for your reply! 

Sadly haven’t been able to try another phone as we only have one, but have ordered another BT corded phone which should arrive tomorrow. 

No, the internet still doesn’t work even without the phone plugged in. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I was going to suggest a different phone too.

Sounds like you've done all you can, and of course (as I am sure we all know) your broadband won't be fixed until you are satisfied your landline is.

It might need an engineer visit, and given the fun and games of what is going on at the moment it might take a bit of time. I will say no more there .. 😷 

When I had a fault, the engineer was very good came over, did something outside my house and replaced my master socket. It could be, (as you say yours is old) yours may need replacing.

I believe it is free of charge if the old one is faulty, someone can correct me of course. I wasn't charged.

lowey1
Hooked

That’s really useful, thank you. 
Openreach are coming out about the broadband so I’ll ask them about the phone at the same time. Might be able to rule some things in / out when the new phone comes tomorrow. 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

• There’s a dial tone, but we can’t ring out. We just get ‘this number can’t be recognised’ after a couple of numbers.
  • When I call 17070 there’s just a tone (not the usual dial tone) and no options.
  • I can call 1471, but it always logs as no callers.
  • The phone also isn’t ringing when we ring it.
  • 1571 isn’t working

There was a recognised fault on the line about a week ago which was apparently fixed.

Welcome to the forum. @lowey1 

The above symptoms suggest to me that when the fault was 'fixed' it was actually crossed with a 'stopped line" ie one which has ben left in situ when a property is vacated, ready to 'start' when required.

All of the above would happen on a stopped line.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@lowey1 

When you ring your number, how long did you let it ring?  Just enough to know that your phone did not ring ... or long enough for someone to answer?  If your line has been cross connected, there is the possibility that it is "properly" terminated elsewhere.  Such would be why the (exchange to termination point) line test was OK.  Finding out the details of another subscriber would help verify the scope of the problem.

You will need to phone Plusnet (use the 0800 number) and suggest firmly that this looks like a across connected line.  Also check your phone bill for phone call charges you did not make.

@198kHz 

Is there any number which might connect to somewhere / someone on a stopped line?  I suspect that 999 would, but that is not a number to be tried.  What about 100 or 150?  Might that get the subscriber access to someone who can confirm the cross connection and get boots on the ground from those responsible for the error?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Townman @lowey1 

If it's a stopped line it probably terminates in an unoccupied property. Still, worth trying in case there is an answer.

100 might work, but whether they'd be able to identify the number I don't know.

150 might work, but I suspect only if it's a BT Retail line.

It's always possible, I suppose, that after the recent repair someone in BT/Openreach got mixed up and stopped the line in error.

Anyway, sounds as if the engineer's appointment is imminent. If you tell him/her what's been discussed here it'll possibly give them a head start to cracking the case. 🤞

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
lowey1
Hooked

@Townman @198kHz 

Thanks both. You were right - the line had been crossed to a neighbouring property, though one that was occupied. I’d been calling it, but there was no answer - and had left a 1571 message (which I couldn’t receive). This morning a neighbour called around to say that she’d had a phone call for us from Openreach. The fault still isn’t fixed, but apparently they’re heading around soon to do so. 

Thanks for all your help! 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Remember to check your phone bill when this is sorted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@lowey1  Thanks for update, and glad to hear there's some progress. Hope it goes well.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
lowey1
Hooked

Good idea! Thank you
lowey1
Hooked

All fixed now. Openreach confirmed it was human error. There had been a fault on the line but somehow in fixing it the line it had been connected to another property. All back online now and phone fixed too. He didn’t look too happy that two engineers had “fixed” the problem without coming to the house or checking, but at least it’s done now.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

👍 😊

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)