Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default settings on Call Protect

FIXED
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Default settings on Call Protect

International calls -are they blocked by Call Protect as a default?

23 REPLIES 23
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Default settings on Call Protect

Fix

Hi David,

It automatically blocks calls from a  list of known nuisance callers. Some may be recognised international numbers but not all international calls are blocked by default.

However it's really easy to set up.

We have a useful guide on how to add call protect (if you haven't already, its completely free) and how to use the service HERE

Further details can also be found on the call feature FAQ HERE selecting the option for 'how do I use my call features'

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that Matt - just seemed strange that I haven't seen "international" on my phone display lately (altho I'm still getting the 0203xx.... type numbers, to tell me that my connection is compromisedGrin)

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm noticing those type of numbers myself. Especially on my mobile and it's almost like the parties in question are using some kind of masking to make the call seem more trustworthy. My mobile shows the call location, usually in a city in close proximity with a UK area code which doesn't seem to be true.

Ultimately it isn't rocket science to determine your number is on the BT network since most of the country are and have broadband. I'm afraid is all part of the arms race for prevention of nuisance calls and the workarounds scam callers are using to get past them.

I would suggest to block the number via call protect as usual, 1572 after the call and block the previous number. However, if they're routing the numbers through a UK based auto dialler to give it a more 'friendly' area code then each time they call it may show as a different number.

Again I've experienced this myself a few times having blocked the number, only for it to try again a few days later on a different number with the same UK area code but it's worth a try.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

I've given up adding these 0203xx... numbers ; it's not only "the BT internet is compromised" type scammers using variations ,but I've had a number of calls lately from "AO.com" trying to flog extended warranties on electrical goods I bought last year -and they seem to use a different 0203 number each time!!!

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sadly it's one of the measures nuisance callers are using since alot of providers are offering call protect type services.

It's really frustrating and I feel your pain. What I would suggest, the next time someone from 'AO' or another company you have done business with tries contacting you is to request they forget your details under the GDPR act implemented in May 2018.

They should legally comply with your request and forget your details.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for 'compromised services' scam calls since they usually operate outside the EU and outside of the GDPR ruling.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Maybe I shouldn't reveal my secret, but it may help.

Of the rare scam callers I now get (normal phone, nothing blocked), I listen to them reel off the 'your BT internet and phone line services have been compromised and thus we need to take urgent action to stop your services from ceasing' - or the classic 'Hello sir, I am calling you from BT tek-nik-cul deepartment and we have detected your computer has a 'wirus' installed' or the newish one but instead of BT they claim to be from Microsoft, I pause, which throws them off, then simply say you've called a shop, we don't have BT for the phone, nor do we need internet here either, why do you keep calling and then wait for the phone to go click. I've had one scam caller in the last month and a half:)

(nothing should be taken as me being racist, as I'm not, it's how many of these callers pronounce those words)

But what info can be taken from the above:

1. They don't call me by my name
  2. They clearly are reading from a script
  3. They try to scare you
  4. I doubt they are based in the UK
  5. When I was with BT, they never called me
  6. As much as they call, I always ignore their scare tactics, give them the 'shop' excuse and carry on with my life

Now some may say BT could be to blame for some of this, as a YT video (now taken down) proved an overseas BT call centre manager was selling our details to these scammers, he was secretly film and admitted the lot. Worse still some of those scammers also worked for BT and knew how to word the technical side of things - rather worrying imho.

RupertBear

Today, I picked up the call and someone told me that they were from the Telephone preference service and wanted to upgrade my preference to a new level to catch more nuisance calls. In order to do this, they seemed to know how I pay my phone bill, my address and of course my name. They were requesting confirmation of my account details, none of which I gave.

It was a phishing attempt which I avoided, quite scary though.

The number was an 01248 std code and is a known scammer number which I found out with some digging online.

However, I cannot see how to add the number to my call protect.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Using Plusnet Call Protect

Call Protect Menu Dial 1572 Main Menu

1. Press 1 to add the last answered call to your diverted caller list.
  2. Press 2 to remove the last entry from your diverted caller list.
  3. Press 3 to listen to your 1572 messages.
  4. Press 4 to change your personal options including –
    Plusnet's diverted list
    Your diverted list
    Diverted call groups
    VIP list
    DND settings
    Or hold to hear these menu options again
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @RupertBear,

Assuming the identity of trusted services like the TPS is pretty unnerving and It does sound pretty scary however more often than not they are phishing for details.

They may have some basic information they have acquired such as your name and phone number.

They'll then try abit of 'cold reading' to gauge a response. Suggesting you pay by direct debit for example, given how many people do is an obvious one.

To add numbers to your diverted list, first access the Call Protect Menu Dial 1572,  then from the Main Menu you'll then have the following options.

1. Press 1 to add the last answered call to your diverted caller list.
  2. Press 2 to remove the last entry from your diverted caller list.
  3. Press 3 to listen to your 1572 messages.
  4. Press 4 to change your personal options including –
    Plusnet's diverted list
    Your diverted list
    Diverted call groups
    VIP list
    DND settings
    Or hold to hear these menu options again

You should be able to add the number to call your diverted list by going via option 4 and choosing your diverted list. You should then be able to add the number to the list that way.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's a (fairly) complete table of Call Protect Menu options attached

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro

Had problems yesterday with receiving call with unavailable on caller ID, 1471 stated they did not have the callers number.

Just to confirm I have on Call Protect all the options switched on to block calls.

One of the calls was a person (the others were recordings) so I asked for their number which they provided so I could report it to ICO. However the person informed me that they were using VOIP as it was cheaper and also it by-passes Call Protect so could this be another problem for technical to solve, unless I have been given incorrect information.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @mort7890,

I'm afraid nuisance and scam callers are always finding ways to circumvent call features that prevent them for getting through. My best advice is to continue adding numbers to your block list as VOIP services are still linked to an end number. If you haven't already, you can register with the telephone preference service to remove you from any unsolicited sales or marketing calls. More information on stopping nuisance calls can be found here.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

@Jubby  - unfortunately adding to the blocked list appears to be a futile gesture. I obviously jinxed myself by starting this thread - I've had 4 junk calls today, 3 of them were different 01281xxxxxx numbers, so adding them will soon fill the box!!

EDIT 01281 numbers appear to be associated with the "internet is compromised" scam -hopefully they will move to another code area tomorrow!!

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @davidj66,

I appreciate there are a lot of different numbers who are involved with making these calls. If you have gone through everything possible in the how to stop nuisance calls guide, a last option would be to purchase a phone with BT call guardian. These phones can be expensive or inexpensive dependent on where you purchase them from. They can block up to 1000 individual numbers and ensure the caller states their name before getting through to you, giving the choice of if you would like to answer the call.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional