Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut off at 59 minutes??

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Cut off at 59 minutes??

Anybody know a way to cut calls off at 59 minutes - this could prevent divorce proceedings  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
w23
Pro

Re: Cut off at 59 minutes??

1. One of those little clockwork kitchen timers (they often time up to one hour) can work - though only of any use if you actually set the timer when you make a call.
2. Most modern phones have a little timer on the display that shows how long the call has been running so far - only works if you look at it.
3. If you're with Plusnet then you can check all your call charges regularly, when you get one that's charged because it went over an hour then show the offender the itemised call charge each time it happens and at the end of the month work out the total money 'wasted' by gossiping on the phone for too long.
4. Divorce.  It's an expensive business but your phone bills will really drop afterwards.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do it at 50 minutes, gives you 9 minutes to finish !!

I use these in the kitchen, they re-set to the same time every time .
They countdown, so you, or OH, can see time remaining........
And only £2 inc shipping from HK.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-digital-kitchen-timer-2984
w23
Pro

Rather an extreme example but I'd hope that the call cut-off timer in this: http://www.capstanlg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158&Itemid=355 might also feature in some home telephone models / systems.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

I've tried timers etc. but it's only when I'm at work that it happens  Roll_eyes
I'll just have to stop looking at my account or try to find a phone with batteries that go flat after 50 minutes use.
The SOHO telephone system is very nice but o.t.t. for me.
stallan
Grafter

If you have a DECT phone, then plug the base unit into this http://www.maplin.co.uk/8-button-7-day-digital-timer-513415 . Hopefully you should be able to set up an hourly cycle to drop the line.  Grin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Other than some kind of Heath Robinson type device that uses clocks and a pair of scissors to cut the phone cable I'd agree that a simple kitchen timer would be the best bet. If you do decide to do try that then I'd advise using a digital one rather than mechanical as the latter can be less accurate.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
The_10th
Grafter

The Digital timer option looks fine but I use a DECT phone which has a timer that shows the length of the call so just tend to keep an eye on it and works. Both depend on the user taking responsibility in either using the timer or watching the clock though!  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I will have to get some glue remover, if you expect SWMBO to remove the dect phone to look at the clock
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the TV on, sound muted, one hour programme, and start the call a few minutes in ?
Programme ends, call ends. For the first 50+ minutes anyway.
Especially if it's a UK News channel, with an onscreen clock.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Get a phone where you can program 18185 to be auto-dialled for each call. Set up a 18185 account to be paid by said other party''s card, if you haven't got an a/c already  Shocked  Give phone to said other party for exclusive use  Cheesy
That way, if it's a UK LL call it will only ever cost 5p not matter how long Crazy any other numbers, a least she'll be paying Grin