cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit being reached by bogus calls to 123

Goonerbertie

Credit limit being reached by bogus calls to 123

Why do I get daily emails from Plusnet telling me my credit limit is going to be reached and that if I don't top up I will be charged £5.76 admin fee when the majority of calls (at 50p each) are to 123 which I never make. I can see posts stretching back several years on calls made to 123 by engineers being charged to customers, so why is this practice still happening ? Is this just an ongoing scam by Plusnet to dupe unsuspecting customers into topping up their home phone credit ? This practice must be stopped immediately.

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Credit limit being reached by bogus calls to 123

These calls can also be spoofed by line faults. Is the line noisy?

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Random-dialling-of-123/td-p/2139945

This report references 123 calls on broadband only circuits https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/11/phantom-calls-to-the-123-speaking-clock-on-bt-openreac...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Townman wrote:
These calls can also be spoofed by line faults.

Indeed, or a faulty phone or line cord.

When this problem occurred on my own line some years ago the culprit proved to be a standalone caller display unit.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Goonerbertie, thanks for getting in touch. I am really sorry to hear of the unexpected charges on your account and for the concern caused by this.

I have tested your line and this is locating a fault and so have raised this to our suppliers to get this resolved. I have created a fault ticket where you can monitor this here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=220797279

Once the fault is cleared, we will get the charges credited. Please let us know if you have any further queries in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Goonerbertie

Lauren, many thanks, I look forward to this being resolved.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, if you have any further queries in the meantime at all, please do just get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Goonerbertie

Lauren, BT changed the master socket, but I've still been charged an extra £52 in my latest bill. I've even just had an email from [CSA Removed] informing me that the charges are because of all the 123 calls (no sh*t Sherlock !!). Will the £52 be credited on my next bill ? Glen

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad the engineer has resolved the issue for you.

I am really sorry that the calls weren't credited off for you. Once the payment clears for your recent bill I will get the charges refunded for you.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Goonerbertie wrote:

BT changed the master socket, ...

If that is all they did, I would be surprised if the issue does not reappear!  Spoof dialling or 123 or other low digit numbers arising from simulated pulses tends to arise from intermittent contact with something else.  One would not expect a master socket to give rise to such events.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Townman  Seems to be the standard Openreach response to any problem, change the socket without any tests or diagnosis and beat a hasty retreat. I would agree with you that the problem has not been resolved, there will be an issue further back along the line somewhere.☹️

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@Townman  ...tests or diagnosis...

Ah, I remember those days from long ago...  😉

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)