cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit

dorisbp

Credit Limit

I don't get it. I am paying for Anytime calls and International calls (300 mins) - so if its anytime , why am I told there is a limit? I would understand if they tell me I am over 300 minutes on my international calls... that is something I could monitor...with O2 and BT I never had this.. what are the charges of getting out of this contract, because I don't feel like staying here!!? Angry
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Credit Limit

Because if you go over 60 minutes on a National, or 30 (I think) on an international, you have a 'buffer' so you are not cut off during the call, but are charged at the published rate for the extra time.
That charge is taken from the 'Credit Limit' and then charged to your next monthly bill. So long as you watch your call length, that figure will not alter.
HTH
John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

The Credit Limit is more or less a bit of protection for both yourself and Plusnet.  Yourself, so you don't unknowingly run up a massive bill on calls (beyond the credit limit), as you will be blocked until you talk to Plusnet and get it raised. Protection for Plusnet so that they don't have customers getting into that situation and then not paying up.
The catch to all this is that chargeable calls are only deducted from the credit limit when they are processed, which could be quite some time after the call is made, particularly for international calls, so it is very easily to massively exceed the credit limit if the calls are made in a short space of time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joclark
Grafter

Good afternoon, your credit limit is set at £75, this is not something to deter you from using your phone. As pjmarsh advised it is for the protection of yourself and the company. If you reach the £75 within the month you can 'top-up' the service via the member centre. I would advise however not to  make an excessive payment as you would not receive this back on the next bill.
dorisbp

Thanks for your answers. Unfortunately I was caught out by using more than my allocated 300 minutes I guess, as my bill came up to over £95! Angry  So I guess I need to go back to BT and O2, who don't have this restriction. As my son lives in Germany now, I do need more than that at times to keep up with the family.
Any chance I get out of my contract?
joclark
Grafter

Good afternoon, unfortunately this we would not be able if you are in contract to release you from this, you would have to pay early termination charges.
In regards to the 300 minuets these are only are free to landline numbers, calling a mobile will be chargeable. This could also be the reason why your call charges are high. To check you bill please log on the member centre and chose the option to view your phone bill. This will give you a breakdown of each individual month.
Have you tried alternatives to contact your son such as Skype, this could help if you are exceeding the 300 minuets.
Thanks Jo
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Iirc some users have asked about bigger international packages.  Try giving the retentions team a ring and see if they can do you a deal.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dorisbp

Thanks Jo for all the saving tips - if I had realised that I was running up this bill, I would have used those .. but alltogether this packet does not suit me as some of my 'large and talkative' German family are not using Skype etc...all were completely unlimited by my previous two providers!!
So thanks Townman - I will see whether the retention team can offer something or even see whether termination charges are as painful as my last bill. (lirk??)
mwarby
Grafter

Maybe you could just switch the line rental and calls, then pay the broadband only price, which from what i can tell is £2.50 a month extra (but don't see any introductory  offers)
Projjer
Dabbler

Have you thought about using a VoIP service ?
Sipgate.co.uk  charge 1.7 p/min for calls to German landlines.