cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackling on Landline

Grhmeh
Dabbler

Crackling on Landline

My phone line is crackling and has been for some time , I bought a new BT Decor 2200 phone but this has made no difference so I unpluged the BT master socket and connected to the internal socket to see if it was better, it made no difference to the crackling. I then found the plusnet line checker ,this said there was a line fault, as I checked with only the new phone connected and I could hear the crackles I can’t see that there is an internal house fault after the BT socket. Is it possible that it could be looked into please.Broadband is working fine.

3 REPLIES 3
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Crackling on Landline

Hi @Grhmeh 

Try a 17070 option 2 quiet line test too, so you can hear the noise without any dial tone.

Sounds like you are right, and there is a fault outside your property. You'd need to raise this to BT Wholesale.

You've already tried the test socket, so it will be a fault.

This has happened to me in the past. The engineer was very good and did something outside my house and got it fixed in around half an hour.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Grhmeh To follow from your post and @Alex 's comment, it appears the system has picked up an external fault try checking your open questions in 'My Account' - there should be one which will have been created as a result of your action on the line checker.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)