cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackling and noisy line (intermittent)

Sheddyian
Grafter

Crackling and noisy line (intermittent)

I'm getting crackling on my line, along with other noises.  Sometimes there is a hum, there are squeaks and fizzes and firework-like whooshes occasionally.  Sometimes the crackles are so loud that I can't hear the caller very well.  

I've reported it twice, but a line check comes back as OK.  As it's intermittent, invariably the crackles have gone away when the test is run.  The fault appears to settle down the more the phone is used.  e.g. heavy crackling when I call plusnet, I wait in a queue for a while, by the time I speak to support person the fault has largely gone.  Only for it to come back a day or two later.

I'm using a cordless phone, but I've also tried plugging a wired handset into the test socket - the noises are still present.

If I try to run my own test using the Plusnet Troubleshooter, it sits for a while with moving dots and then returns an error.  https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/error

It doesn't appear to be affecting my internet, which is a bonus!  But voice calls are affected, badly at times.

It possibly gets worse/more frequent when it's been raining, though it has happened when it's dry.

The phone wiring is very simple - from the pole down to a single Master socket 5C (fitted in May by Openreach), to which I plugged in a MK4 filtered faceplate.  There are no extensions wired to it.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do next?

Thanks

Ian

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Crackling and noisy line (intermittent)

Plug a wired phone into the test socket (no filter) ring 17070 then option 2 for the official quiet line test. If there's noise on the line then all you can do is keep reporting it until they sent a technician out to check connections.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sheddyian
Grafter

Thanks!  I will try that test when the noise returns.  It was crackling an hour ago, but I've just picked up the handset and it's quiet once more.

Ian

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Sheddyian,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing intermittent noise on your landline. I've tested your line from this side but the test isn't picking up the cause at the moment.

Please let us know how the quiet line test with the phone connected directly to the test socket goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Sheddyian
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

The line is currently fine, no crackles at all.  I'm listening to the quiet line test as I type - it's very silent.

As the problem is intermittent, I'll post back here as soon as it comes back!

Actually, as I'm typing - there are some faint crackles now, but very slight compared to how it was yesterday.  And some buzzing coming in now.  

Should the quiet line test tell me anything, or is it's purpose to be silent so that I can hear the crackles?

OK, the line is fairly noisy now, with crackles and a humming sound.  Can another test be run?  It's not as noisy as yesterday, but it's increasing.

Thanks

Ian

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Sheddyian 

I've tested again this morning and we are finding no fault present on your line. 

Have you got the ability to test a different phone to ensure it is not the handset itself? 

We are able to book engineers out regardless of our testing finding no issues - however, this drastically rises the possibility of an engineer charge being levied against the account if no fault is found on the visit, and we would of course not wish that to happen to you. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Sheddyian
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for testing it again.  This morning, as I type, the line is free from noise.  Last night, around 10pm, it was crackling and fizzing a lot.

When the line is noisy, I can hear it using either a cordless phone or if I plug a wired handset into the test socket, so I don't think it's my phone causing the noise.

I understand the charging issue which is why I've not asked for an engineer so far, until I can get confirmation of the noise through a test.

Can we let this run a few more days, and I'll post on here when the line is noisy again - currently it's fine.

Thanks

Ian