Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackling Phone line...

IceColdRum
Dabbler

Crackling Phone line...

Hi,

I have tried a couple of phones in my flat (since November) and I assumed it was the old phone that was the issue but I've since bought a different phone and I've still got the same crackling noise issue... it's not a major concern as to be honest I rarely use the landline now but It would be nice to have it working properly 

I will report the issue tomorrow, I've tried using the self line check tool on the Plusnet website but it just reports that the result was unclear and to try again later.

One question I do have is that I am in a block of housing association flats and to me the wiring for my phone line looks "interesting" who would be charged if the issue was found to be bad wiring or just old wires inside the flats? I will speak to the HA tomorrow as well to get their take on this if Plusnet tell me there isn't any issue that they can see from a line check

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Crackling Phone line...

OPENREACH are responsible up to your residence's BT/ Openreach master socket; is that where you checked quality ie inside that socket's Test Socket?Huh
IceColdRum
Dabbler

Hi thank you for replying,

I've just taken the panel off and connected the phone directly to the test socket and still get a crackly line, I was unaware that they would cover it right upto my master socket so thats good to know Smiley

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just tested your line and we're not picking up on any faults so we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to take a look into it for you. It looks like you've just called in and got one arranged with us so I hope that gets the issue fixed. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

If you get a blue BT Directory at front, there's an illustration of an Master Socket , and location of the Test Socket.

IceColdRum
Dabbler

I took the cover off and tried the phone directly in the test socket and it's still crackly, I've got an engineer booked for next week Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Let us know how you get on after the engineer visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
IceColdRum
Dabbler

Engineer has just left he couldn't see any faults but replaced the front panel on the socket and then as he was running the last quiet line check we could both hear the crackling on the line (but still no fault!) anyway after a looking in the main box on the flats he said it looks like the wires for my line weren't quite in place and he reckons that was the issue and I've just managed to have 10min conversation on the phone without a problem Smiley
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to hear this and that you're able to hear people clearly while on the phone now. Thumbs_Up

Let us know if any further problems develop.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet