Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackle

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Crackle

The point of suggesting that it is intermittent further mitigates the risk of charges being levied if the engineer cannot discern the fault on the day of the visit.  From what you have described, I would (just to be safe) want to try those handsets on someone else's line, just to be sure that the fault is not with the style / age of the handsets.
Note that with DECT phones, there is likely to be some back ground hiss.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mpotter
Grafter

It is not normal to hear a crackle like I did though thanks for that! Cheesy
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Can you record the crackle, perhaps on a mobile phone, and play it back to the engineer if he can't hear it when he visits?
mpotter
Grafter

Thanks, will do, also I'm having the same problem with an intermittently dying phone line I had with TalkTalk Sad Therefore I'm requesting a member of staff please raise an intermittent no dial tone fault to Openreach and insist they monitor the line for 24 hours.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We'll put that in the notes for you, the only problem is we often need the fault to be there at the time that the engineer is on site. If this happens, we've got more of a chance of getting it sorted for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mpotter
Grafter

Sorry but that's impossible  to recreate. Did you do anything that could've killed the broadband earlier and can you please adjust the profile to 9dB? As for the phone line I have  a noise present and as for the broadband it drops out when the dial tone does.
mpotter
Grafter

Bumping to ask what the results of this are?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you been asked to offer 3 dates for an engineer yet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: mpotter
Bumping to ask what the results of this are?

The results of what sorry? I see you've reported a broadband fault to us, however as the phone line is crackling and the dial tone dropping out then we really should get that fixed first.
Our automated testing detected a potential issue on the phone line, so that's the route we'd be going down to get this resolved.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mpotter
Grafter

Thanks I wanted the results of the 24 hour line monitoring by Openreach but you can disregard that. As for the latest update I changed my mind and went ahead to book an engineer for this Wednesday morning.
mpotter
Grafter

Sorry to bump this but can you please make sure to dispute any charge on the basis that you found a fault and that the no dial tone issue is only evident  at times whilst engineers may not hear the noise assuming that they properly test for  it in the first place! Whilst Im at it any chance you can also have  Openreach monitor the line for 24 hours again and ask them to run a CIDT test please?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

At this point, it's probably best to await the appointment date. Feel free to PM me on the day and I'll oversee things.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
mpotter
Grafter

Found and fix attempted but only partially successful. Cant be asked to deal with a third engineer but  am wondering if you reported the fault your test found to BT?
mpotter
Grafter

Hi there, the crackles come back so is there anything you can please do apart from send another engineer? By the way I've  requested another line test which also passed. Its also present at the test socket with both of our corded phones. 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sadly another engineer visit is very likely to be essential UNLESS the remotes tests identify an external fault.
Unfortunately on some lines (especially long rural ones) there can be numerous locations for there to be joint issues, which might not indicate an issue when the engineer visits.  In such circumstances, it is essential that it is made clear that the issue is INTERMITTENT and has failed repeated attempts to rectify.
Hopefully that will lead to a request to check every joint and / or find best available d-side & e-side pairs.  Lines might also only show faults when tested in one direction - I have seen a line test out OK from the user's premises, but fail when tested from the cabinet to the premises.