cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackle

mpotter
Grafter

Crackle

Hi have already tried reporting a crackle on my phone line  to the call centre but backed out as the three tests passed and the  advisor warned of a TRC if I went ahead with the engineer visit. However Ive tried two phones, one corded and another cordless both at the test socket and could still hear it. Made me laugh that  the advisor blamed   internal wiring or equipment, clearly not the problem.
32 REPLIES 32
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Crackle

We ask for those tests to simply try and eliminate ourselves and you having to pay an engineers fee.
Let me go run another line test and get this reported for you. Can you let me know if you're happy for an engineer to be booked if required and your best dates and times (am or pm) for availability?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mpotter
Grafter

Thanks for that understood completely. Not happy with an engineer being booked unless you can guarantee itll be free
Chris
Legend

I can't guarantee it 100%, however as you've tested more than 1 phone into the test socket it's very unlikely there'll be any charge passed on. We also review any charge requests before applying these to customers to ensure they are valid and correct, if we believe they aren't then we won't apply them to your account and will dispute them.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mpotter
Grafter

Can you please confirm the test result and whether or not theyll be required?
Chris
Legend

The test result is showing:
No fault was found after automated testing.
A trouble report can still be raised if the End User is certain a fault exists.

And then if I want to continue to raise the fault it requires me to book an appointment.
mpotter
Grafter

Engineers have already visited and found no fault so what else can be done please?
Chris
Legend

If the crackle is still there, then something isn't right. I'm not sure exactly what the engineers will do, but they should be able to identify what's causing the noise.
Any noise on the line can cause broadband issues, so if the noise is still ongoing when you get your broadband activated you might find it's not performing as well as it should be.
mpotter
Grafter

Why is it that when they came previously with my old provider they dismissed it as "normal"
Chris
Legend

I have absolutely no idea. We can't access engineer notes from a different ISP.
mpotter
Grafter

Thanks I think best course of action will be an SAR to the old one will update you! Anyway if I suffer obvious broadband issues and get an SFI to visit will I be charged if they pick up the noise? Any other downsides to getting a broadband engineer  to deal with a voice and broadband issue?
Chris
Legend

I really wouldn't worry about going to that trouble (and normally a cost involved with an SAR). Faults can often take more than one engineer visit and generally if there was no fault detected by the engineer, that's all the notes will say!
If the crackle is obvious enough to be heard, I'm surprised the previous engineer said it was normal.
We can wait and then take another look once your broadband has activated if you like?
mpotter
Grafter

Alright then yes please. Can you confirm its normal to have  no broadband until activated? And we did have multiple OR engineers visit no fault found!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
If its not activated, clearly there will be no broadband!  Wink
As for the noise on your line, I suggest that the emphasis needs to be that it is intermittent.  If you have found there to be noise on the line using a GOOD corded handset plugged in to the test socket (eliminates any contribution from extension wiring, then the problem can only be external to your property and thereby not chargeable.
One does not have any information on what the previous engineers found / heard, but audible crackle is not normal, though might be judged to be not too much of an issue on a voice only service.
Noise on a line is a "copper path" issue - such problems are primarily dealt with by POTS engineers.  Broadband engineers can address such issues, however some are quite reluctant to deal with such matters.
If PN are prepared to call on a BTOR engineer to investigate the noise, then I would accept the offer... the sooner it is fixed (or at least investigations started) the sooner it will be removed as a potential broadband issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mpotter
Grafter

It aint intermittent though but thanks. Thing is I actually had broadband with the previous supplier! And three SFI visits as well as at least six line engineer visits. At least some of the line engineers advised only the broadband and not line part of the fault be reported!