cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could my phone number have previously been attached to another property?

kmrose

Could my phone number have previously been attached to another property?

Hi,
I plugged in my landline handset this afternoon, and a few hours later received a call from a Debt Collectors saying they've been trying to contact me. I'm pretty sure they don't actually want anyone in this house as we don't have any debt they could be collecting and haven't received any prior contact from them. Could our new number with Plusnet have been attached to another property in the past? I'm just mystified as to how they've come to contact us when we haven't told anyone our number yet!
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Could my phone number have previously been attached to another property?

Numbers will be reused, but that is supposed to be at least 6 months after they were disconnected.
Did you ask who it was they were trying to contact?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kmrose

I haven't been able to get in touch with them on the phone since they left the message, I've sent an email explaining the situation to them but I'm not sure that'll make any difference!
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I thought from your initial post that you had spoken to them, but your last post suggested it was a message left on the answerphone. I wouldn't have sent them an email as they now have another method of pestering you. These people tend not to give up in a hurry and always assume that you are making up stories just to avoid paying the debt. Whatever you do, don't give them your address and make sure you are listed ex-directory and I would register with the Telephone Preference Service as well.
Next time they contact you, if they aren't apologising and if they are still pestering, or demanding information about the person that owes the debt, tell them quite plainly that it is a new telephone number to you, you don't know the person that they want and not to call your number as it is now, again, or to email you demanding money or information.
If necessary remind them of what you just told them and that should they contact you again, it will amount to Harassment - a criminal offence, and you will report them to the Police.
Good luck.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To add to that, I hope you didn't give them your name because if you have your name may have been associated with the debt.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kmrose

Thanks for your help, we haven't heard anything more from the company and have now registered with TPS. They don't have our name and address so hopefully they'll drop it if they haven't already.
Thanks again