cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of Calls To Mobiles

Ginny

Cost of Calls To Mobiles

Hi
I joined Plusnet from BT to reduce the overall cost of my broadband and telephone calls.  I took out the anytime inclusive calls but unfortunately due to the high cost of calling mobiles it is proving to be much more expensive.  I am looking into using an indirect provider or 181185 but am worried that I may end up being charged by Plusnet and the other providers for the calls and end up paying even more.  Has anyone a solution to cheaper calls to mobiles, I cannot us my own mobile as I do not have a signal at home.
9 REPLIES 9
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Cost of Calls To Mobiles

I occasionally use 18185 for calls to mobiles from my Plusnet landline, no problems (though I use a mobile where possible for mobile calls).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Yes, if you can get a Vodaphone signal. you gett 150 mins , 200 txt 400mb of data for free each month then 8p a min after that.
look at the freedom plan , the reason its free they send an advert to your mobile when browsing.
i have one as a back up works well
http://ovivomobile.com/offer/ovivo-for-phones/
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you have a mobile contract, you could also look at femtocell devices like the Vodafone suresignal http://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/what-affects-your-coverage/sure-signal/ . They create a mobile network in your home and route calls using your Broadband connection. Some network operators MAY supply them free if you have no signal at home.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: w23
I occasionally use 18185 for calls to mobiles from my Plusnet landline, no problems (though I use a mobile where possible for mobile calls).

Unfortunately their faq is blank and they don't list charges to other types of numbers, like 076 numbers.
w23
Pro

This may clarify for the 18185 case:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107357.msg927603.html#msg927603
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

My mistake for not clarifying; by 'their' I meant 18185's website. Their faq is blank and they have no extensive list of call charges, only the select few that they show up front. A blank faq and selectivity on what charges they do show seems a bit dubious to me, frankly.
w23
Pro

OP specifically mentioned mobiles, 18185 is a pretty good choice for short calls to standard UK mobiles (low call set-up + reasonable 'per minute' charge), Plusnet do not charge for these calls.
I'd avoid using anyone like 18185 for 'other' calls where rates are not published (just in case).  In my recent experience it seems that even reputable providers can come out expensive for calls with unpublished rates.
Call me 'w23'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And just be careful you don't mis-dial 118185 - expensive  Lips_are_sealed
Ginny

Many thanks for the suggestions, I think I will go for the 18185 option and dial carefully.