Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant internet interruptions since switching to Plusnet Phone

Robert88
Grafter

Constant internet interruptions since switching to Plusnet Phone

As the post title says

Recently switched home phone to Plusnet (The phone order is still currently processing though), literally the day after I switched packages the internet has been constantly disconnecting for 30 seconds multiple times a day, every day. (The router itself never changes colour to indicate a reset) 

Is this normal for the phone switching process? 

38 REPLIES 38
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Constant internet interruptions since switching to Plusnet Phone

Hi Robert,

No this is not normal!

How are you discerning the "disconnections" if the router lights do not change?

This sounds more like a WiFi issue than a phone issue.  Which router are you using and what device is it which keeps "disconnecting"?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Robert88
Grafter

Sorry no, meant to put the it IS resetting constantly, flashing orange light on the router and everything, just sometimes the internet cuts out for 30 seconds and no flashing orange lights for some reason, but it IS resetting 

Constantly, multiple times a day, everything off

Nothing has changed in terms of services, equipment, etc. other than signing up for Plusnet Phone, so was just checking if that was a problem others have had before stemming from the line change

Robert88
Grafter

Basically I need someone at Plusnet to verify if changing the phone is whats causing these sudden internet issues, or if its just a weird coincidence that it started happening the day I switched phones

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Who did you change from?

Did you change like for like or upgrade from ADSL to FTTC?

Check the phone line - dial 17070 option 2 - the line should be silent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Robert88
Grafter

Line is crystal clear during quiet test

Switched like for like (Can only get ADSL in the area anyway)

We were with Post Office (which went to Shell Energy I believe?) and never had any problems with phone stuff with them

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having a lot of connection issues. This won't be anything to do with the phone transfer as placing an order shouldn't affect the physical service until it completes, but even when your transfer order's completed, since you're moving from a BT-based provider, the handover of the line would be purely administrative.

I've tested your line and the tests are all passing, but I can definitely see your connection's dropping out. I've attached below a graph showing this. Just to check, is your router plugged into the master telephone socket with no extension cabling between your router and the socket? Try the test socket explained Here if possible also. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Robert88 Which modem/router are you using? I'm wondering if some stats from that would narrow down the issue.

John
Robert88
Grafter

Ok

Router is plugged into the Master Socket, always has been as there is no other socket

Test socket has had no change, still dropping connection

Tried Quiet Line test a few times thorugh the day and all crystal clear

Router is the normal Plusnet Hub One, stats below

4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:01:50
6. Data rate: 448 / 1843
7. Maximum data rate: 14422 / 1788
8. Noise margin: 11.2 / 11.9
9. Line attenuation: 29.2 / 47.8
10. Signal attenuation: 29.2 / 46.0
11. Data sent/received: 74.0 MB / 1.1 GB
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Robert88 Just having a quick look at that, as I'm due to go out in a few minutes, a couple of things shout at me. Lines 6 and 7 look as though something isn't correct - especially max data rates in 7. Also, your noise margin looks high, as do the line attenuation figures.

This needs further investigation by PN, and will probably involve a BT visit.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for giving that a go.

Sorry that it didn't help. I think it's worth us at this stage arranging for Openreach to come visit you to take a closer look. Do you have any preference for when you'll be around for a visit? Engineers work weekdays 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm, and occasionally Saturday timeslots are offered to us but not always. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Robert88
Grafter

Thanks

Any Weekday slot at any time is fine, whichever is easiest for the engineer

Robert88
Grafter

Just a quick bit of extra information

Straight after the most recent reset I checked the Quiet Line again, this time there WAS faint crackling on the line

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for getting back to me Robert,

The crackling may be the cause for the broadband drops, but as line tests are passing, I've arranged a broadband engineer, rather than asking you to report a fault with your phone provider (as we've not transferred your line quite yet).

Broadband engineers are generally multi-skilled in the way that they'd be able to look at both phone and broadband.

Appointment's booked for tomorrow 01.06.22 between 1pm to 6pm. Interestingly, our tests are also showing a potential issue with the lead-in wiring from the cable outside into your property. That won't be your responsibility though. 

Let me know how the visit goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Robert88
Grafter

Ok engineer cam and went

No problems at the house, the fault apparently lies in a cable about a mile away that needs a proper scheduled fix sometime in the next week

The resetting seems to have calmed down now, nowhere near as many as earlier in the week, the only thing now is the phone is very crackly but that'll obviously get fixed

The other thing is the speed has nose dived since all this started, probably due to the line once again being banded after the 40+ resets in quick succession, so that's something that could be looked at once the line is fixed

Thanks