cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant flow of recorded messages - very irritating >:(

Reason5
Grafter

Constant flow of recorded messages - very irritating >:(

Been back with Plusnet now for 4 months with Fibre ect: Everything OK but!!
This has really got my backup that when I signed up I paid upfront for the phone line to get the discount (great)
And yet I find I dare not even answer my house phone in case of premium billing from sales calls and because of the Constant flow of recorded messages.
So my home phone is redundant in my house !!! Obviously I have to have it for the Fibre Broadband .
I have not given anyone the house number and can't because of all these nuisance calls ...... Please Please Plusent you got to do something about this soon !! Embarrassed
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Constant flow of recorded messages - very irritating >:(

Hi there,
Really sorry about this. For UK based calls you could sign up to the TPS if you haven't already - http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
That should stop the majority of recorded PPI messages (assuming that's what they are). As for the rest, you could opt to go for Caller ID to confirm you know the ID of the caller before answering?
I'm sorry we can't offer anything more than that at present.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Matt
For UK based calls you could sign up to the TPS if you haven't already - http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
That should stop the majority of recorded PPI messages (assuming that's what they are).

Not in my experience - and going to look at the caller ID info is just as annoying Angry
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

TPS is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Look in to a call blocking device.
There are several different choices out there, whichever you get you need to have caller ID set up on your phone line!
I got the BT6510 phone the other week, I've set It up so all international, no caller id, withheld caller id & payphones are blocked  Cheesy
We used to get between 3 & 8 annoying calls per day, since we have changed the phone we have only had 2 get through & that was only due to them being UK call centres, both now added to the phones block list. 
paulg123
Grafter

Sorry to jump on a thread, out phone is literally dead so I think I gonna go for the bt6510 that u recommended and I was going to add the anonymous call feature for £4 extra a month but I think I'll invest in one of those CPR devices instead as I'll save £8 over a year alone
peter10
Grafter

The TPS is no good for recorded messages. According to their web site - Telephone Preference Service (TPS) will help reduce receipt of live unsolicited direct marketing calls but will not stop pre- recorded calls.
If you have not given permission they say you have to report these to -
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tel: 03031231113
Web: www.ico.gov.uk
I report each one to ICO via their web site and the number of calls has decreased.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Reason5
And yet I find I dare not even answer my house phone in case of premium billing from sales calls and because of the Constant flow of recorded messages.

Hi - you cannot be billed for an inbound call unless the operator confirms that you accept charges beforehand.
Imere

2 things to do
First with recorded messages log the call with the Information Commissioners Office ICO, not TPS
http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing
it takes minutes,eventually they will take action and fine the caller
TPS is no good for recorded marketing messages.
Second install a CPR, I installed 10 days ago, £40 and it stoped all international and number withheld,
its the size of a packet of cigs and takes minutes to install.
today we had our first recorded call from a UK number, press 1 button and that number will never get through again.
A tip, also get a new broadband filter from CPR for £5, my old installed filter was interfering with the caller ID and
the CPR didn't work properly. A new filter fixed it, BTW the CPR help desk sussed it immediately.
Help on any BT product is non-existent.