cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering switching to PlusNet Talk Anytime - some questions

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Considering switching to PlusNet Talk Anytime - some questions

My current provider Primus has just been taken over by New Call Telecom and has  increased the cost of Caller Display to £2-50 per month and has imposed a Call Connection charge of 9p for the first minute on all calls. I am therefore considering PlusNet Talk Anytime. I am currently a PlusNet Broadband customer on Market 1 exchange. Please could someone clarify my understanding of this Product:
1) The Monthly Line Rental + Anytime + Caller Display would cost £11-25 +£5,00 + £0.99 = £17-24 incl VAT
2) Anytime includes " Anytime calls to UK & international landlines". What does this mean? It suggests UNLIMITED Calls to International Landlines.
3) Anytime includes "300 minutes to 20 top international destinations"
         a - This seems to contradict 2 above. Does this allowance only apply to International Mobiles?
         b - Is this 300 Minutes PER MONTH?

4) Anytime includes "0870 / 0845 calls included all the time ". Are there any gotchas?
5) What/ which calls would still be chargeable?
6) Am I correct in understanding that Call Connection charge (9p) would only apply to chargeable calls outwith the "Anytime" Free classification?
7) Are there any discounts applicable - e.g. first 3 months free?
Cool Are there any caveats or gotchas that I have missed?
R
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): disabled smileys as ‘8)’ was inadvertently being turned in to one.]
7 REPLIES 7
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Considering switching to PlusNet Talke Anytime - some questions

Hey there,
Those charges are correct.
As for number 2 this just means that the calls are free Anytime during the day, rather than just evening and weekends.
Number 3: http://www.plus.net/residential/tariffs/homephone.html
4) There are no gotchas, all 0845 and 0870 numbers are free. (Apart from data calls: eg fax/dial-up)
5) See link in number 3
6) That is correct.
7) No discounts.
Regards,
Matt
Be3G
Grafter

What I would caution however, Wheel_nut, is that Plusnet's landline billing is rather flakey – a considerable portion of billing problems that I've experienced began only after I moved to the service last year, and I have seen other people on here with similar experiences too. On the other hand, billing issues aside, the service seems to be pretty reliable.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I took " Anytime calls to UK & international landlines" to mean UNLIMITED calls to UK & international landlines. It appears that whereas UK Calls are Unlimited (if of < 60 min duration), International calls to the 20 Countries nominated are limited to <30 min duration and < 300 mins in total per charging month. Is this correct?
Be3G,
Yes, I did see the tales of woe with Pluset's Billing accuracy but my other option is TalkTalk LLU service where comparable product cost is
Broadband £6-99 + Line Rental £12-04 + Anytime £4-00 + International £2-00 = £ 25-03
compared with PlusNet Value Broadband £112-99 + Line Rental £11-25 + Anytime £5-00 + Caller Display £0-99 = £ 30.23
So the decision is whether PlusNet's Billing System is worth £5-20 MORE than TalkTalk's legendary carp service.  Undecided Roll_eyes Cry
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Hey there,
Yeah, you get 300 International minutes per billing month, which can be used at any time during the day. The durations to qualify for the free calls that you quoted, are correct.
Matt
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Strange that the tariff table says "Top 20 international destinations (300 Evenings & Weekends minutes; re-dial after 30 mins)" but doesn't mention any need to redial after 60 mins with calls to UK landlinesto avoid being charged. Does this restriction still apply?
http://www.plus.net/residential/tariffs/homephone.html
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you go back to the residential home page  http://www.plus.net/?home=hometopand look at note two
2 - "Evening & weekend calls" applies to numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870. Hang up and re-dial before 60 minutes and you won't be charged for these included calls (for international numbers re-dial before 30 minutes). Calls to indirect access numbers and dial up internet access are excluded. See the Home Phone FAQs for more details about call charges.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Thanks to all for the clarifications. I think I understand the Product in sufficient detail to make a meaningful comparison with the competition.
I am going to give it a try. If I don't "like" it, I can get out with 10 days notice ....
R