cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering moving to Home Phone from BT

bodOrange
Dabbler

Considering moving to Home Phone from BT

I'm looking at changing phone (and broadband).  I'm currently with BT option 1 for my phone.
I'm still weighing pros and cons of moving from BT to PN home phone.  I use the phone very little and only pay about £65 a quarter.  Typical usage is 01/02 daytime numbers and a couple of calls to Portugal.  AISI, going with PN Anytime will work out about the same as my normal BT bill, but with the added reasurrance it is unlikely to go higher when my phone usage increases in the near future (likely in the coming months).
With Home Phone, are there any non inclusive call types (connection and/or per minute rate) where PN is significantly more expensive than BT?
The one, possibly major IMO, downside of moving away from BT is fault handling delays.  Is that a real concern?
Incidentally, I'm already with PN for broadband but on a legacy account.  I am almost certainly going to switch to Plusnet Extra, assuming I can retain my static IP.  I'm led to believe that one can have a static IP with Plusnet Extra.  I read it somewhere on this forum but can't find it stated in any PN terms or FAQ.
Thanks for any advice.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Considering moving to Home Phone from BT

last part first http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml
2. Is my IP address dynamic or static?
Most of our broadband products are given a dynamic address and have the option to switch to a static address if required.
The exceptions to this are:
    * Plusnet Value and Broadband Plus accounts cannot switch to a static IP
    * Broadband Premier, Broadband PAYG and business accounts sold prior to July 30th 2009 have a static IP and cannot switch to a dynamic IP
All other account types can switch between static and dynamic IP addresses, see the next question to find out how.
Re phone - remember caller display is extra on Plusnet
Note that international calls to Portugal are no longer free on Plusnet
bodOrange
Dabbler

Thanks.  Static IP sorted then.
AIUI the phone packages were altered for the new year.  So, is it now the case that you simply get:

• Unmetered calls to 01, 02, 03, 0845 etc either 24 hours a day (Home phone anytime) or from 19:00-07:00 on (Home Phone Evenings and Weekend).

• 25% off certain international numbers.

Do you have to pre-define the international numbers?  Or is some dynamic pricing applied at the end of the billing period to your most used international numbers?
TBH I'm getting dejavu here with the time I switched energy suppliers.  Endless time making comparisions, inconvenience of switching all for no real savings in the long run.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

bodOrange
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
The international numbers are here - http://www.plus.net/residential/tariffs/homephone.html#discount_countries

Thanks jim I appreciate your taking the time to help me.
I think I see now:
Portugal, for instance, is  8.48ppm with Talk Anytime and 11.30ppm under Talk Evenings & Weekends.  The Talk Anytime International 300, the only tariff to offer 300 inclusive minutes, is defunct.
Cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its better to check before you jump, we get too many jump and then within a couple of days start complaining and moan that they have to pay a fee to get out
bodOrange
Dabbler

Bit late now - I've just switched!  My broadband changed from legacy Broadband Plus to Plusnet Extra and I have signed up for Home Phone Anytime.  No hardware, so AIUI I'm only bound to the 10 day notice period.  I read the T&C's (sort of) and I'd be miffed if I was subject to a penalty if later I return to BT as I have been a PN customer since 2002.
Had I not taken up PN's phone offering, I would have stayed with BT.  Many of these phone companies T&C's seem too tricky to me.  
jim:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no I was pointing out that you were being good checking it out and asking questions first
The only thing you did wrong was a full quote of my post Cool Cool - never mind no doubt the Mods will sort you out
hadden
Grafter

For the international calls you could consider signing up for a service like 18185. For example calls to landlines in Portugal are 4p + 1p per minute.