cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Moving Phone Line To Plusnet From BT - Advice Please

bazzer
Pro

Considering Moving Phone Line To Plusnet From BT - Advice Please

I have long resisted bundling BB and phone line but am now seriously considering.
I have BB with Plusnet and have been very happy with it.
Am now considering adding my phone line with the 24/7 land-line call product (Talk Anytime).
Is there anything that BT provide as standard that I would have to consider paying extra for with Plusnet?
I don't need answer phone services as I have an answerphone and I believe that 1471 and 141 are inclusive with the Plusnet product?
How has the service been for those that have changed from BT to Plusnet?
If a line problem occurs how efficient have Plusnet been in repairing the fault?
Do I get a bill / review my calls & charges?
Am I making the right decision!!
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Considering Moving Phone Line To Plusnet From BT - Advice Please

You pay for Caller Display with Plusnet £0.99 per month
You get full details of the bill including all calls made whether chargeable or not
Phone service has been completely trouble free
bazzer
Pro

Thanks Oldjim
peter10
Grafter

I changed in September and the change went smoothly.
The caller display has to be paid for as Oldjim mentioned.This was the main reason that I didn't switch earlier.
I was in credit with BT as I was billed quarterly in advance and this was refunded fairly quickly.
I find the bills to be far easier to understand than BT.
I was ex-directory with BT and I found that I was listed in the on line directory after changeover. Raising a ticket quickly rectified it.
I did check with BT first that I was out of contract with them.
As to whether you are making the right decision who knows?  I have been happy with the service so far but then I found BT to be OK as well. I changed when BT put the price up but Plusnet weren't far behind so financially there was not a lot in it for me. I have saved some money taking out the yearly line rental.
When I had a fault with BT they transferred calls to my mobile for free. I am not sure whether Plusnet do this.
whelpton
Grafter

Whilst I am a staff member, I just thought I would add my two cents.
Quote from: bazzer
I have BB with Plusnet and have been very happy with it.

Always nice to hear  Smiley

Is there anything that BT provide as standard that I would have to consider paying extra for with Plusnet?

Not to my knowledge, when I was on BT I got the bare essentials and nothing more.
Our call features guide will give you all the information you would need on what we offer and how we charge for it.

I don't need answer phone services as I have an answerphone and I believe that 1471 and 141 are inclusive with the Plusnet product?

They are indeed, 1571 is also inclusive and is on by default on our products. If you don't require it, you can turn it off (or ask a cs agent to) when you sign up.
If a line problem occurs how efficient have Plusnet been in repairing the fault?

From my general day to day experinces working with home phone faults, very effcient. Of course I will be biased in my opinion. No provider I have ever been with was as efficent as we are for phone faults. On average; exchange or line level problems are rectified within 48 working hours & any other problems are rectified as soon as we can book an engineer, which is done the first time you call.
jkerr82508
Grafter

Quote from: Keith
1571 is also inclusive and is on by default on our products. If you don't require it, you can turn it off (or ask a cs agent to) when you sign up.

According to the call features guide, 1571 is free but off by default, which is confirmed by my own experience.
Jim
lyndonp
Grafter

I switched from BT to Plusnet phone a year or two back. I was like you, I had broadband with PN and was unsure of moving but everything went smoothly and I have been very happy with the service, including interrogating the call billing, ease of adding and removing options etc.. Just added the 12 months line saver option, so I suppose that says it all.
I also pay the 99p extra for Caller ID, but hey ho..!
bazzer
Pro

Thanks for the replies.
Been very helpful in making my decision.
keith4x4
Grafter

Whilst I am a staff member, I just thought I would add my two cents.

From my general day to day experinces working with home phone faults, very effcient. Of course I will be biased in my opinion. No provider I have ever been with was as efficent as we are for phone faults. On average; exchange or line level problems are rectified within 48 working hours & any other problems are rectified as soon as we can book an engineer, which is done the first time you call.

I assume you are excluding Public holidays etc.
The only fault I have had with the phone service was  Xmas eve, the fault was at the exchange and took 4 days to fix.
the only comment I have is on the poor communication that PN give there customers.
At least it was working for New year, for which I was greatfull for
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
CX
Grafter

We're also considering adding home phone to my Plusnet broadband.
I see in the account area that there is a page to select which calling plan I want, and then an Add button at the bottom. Is this all that's required? Do we have to cancel anything with BT or do Plusnet handle the entire process for us?
bazzer
Pro

I set my order in process yesterday and later received a date from PN as to when the changeover will be completed.
Today I received a call from BT who were aware that I was leaving and tried to discount my existing product to entice me to stay.
So, in answer to your question, there is nothing for you to cancel with BT as it appears the process is automated.
Just make sure you are not in contract with BT otherwise you will incur charges to leave.
jim:quote
whelpton
Grafter

Quote from: keith4x4
I assume you are excluding Public holidays etc.

48 working hours.

I certainly was!
BRABUS
Grafter

Just thought I would add my experience of the phone service.  The broadband has been very, very good so far but the switch to phone has been a mess from start to finish and the saga goes on Sad
I will just assume that the agent that took my order (you know who you are) made a pigs ear of it.  I was very specific that I had to be ex directory and number with held for safety reasons.  I also selected the caller display option.
The ex directory thing was set up correctly but the number was not with held.  The caller display does not work either.  To get the caller display to work Plus Net have had to turn it off for 24 hours and then back on so we will see how that goes.
I did kick up a bit of a stink yesterday about the number not being witheld and in fairness to James Bailey the customer complaints manager he got right on it and things have been "fixed".

Now this may have sound like a moan but what I am really saying that when things do go wrong Plus Net do pull out all the stops and get things working again.  A far better response than you would ever have got from BT.
BRABUS
Grafter

A quick update.....OK so things were HALF fixed.
Caller display is now working but the really important issue of with holding our number still hasn't been.  I am waiting in the queue on the phone still  Angry
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi all,
I switched over from BT only on 2nd December, i.e. just over a month ago.  Everything went smoothly and I kept my old number.  I opted for Anytime call and Caller display.  Anytime Call currently is at £3.50 and Caller display is at £0.99.  I also opted for Line rental saver; for which I had to wait as I transfered to PN on 02/12 and Line Rental Saver was offered from 06/12, so I had to wait till next billing month,which is now.
I am also ex-dir and I was told that PN would keep my number ex-dir,  For this I have to wait and see!!
I suppose I better raise a ticket to ensure that my number is NOT revealed on line by PN.
I am quite happy with the service so far.
Keep it up PN.  Smiley
Chandu.