cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about 0845 and 0844 calls.

ceebee123

Confused about 0845 and 0844 calls.

I understand that some 0845 and 0870 number are included in my Plusnet package without charge.
However, I was wondering what are the charges using 0845 2 numbers to get me cheaper International calls.  Is there a connnection charge and what is the rate per minute for these calls.
What are the charges for 0844 numbers using plusnet. 
If I were to use 0844 86 numbers to get cheaper international calls is there a connection charge and what is the rate per minute.
Being new to Plusnet, I have tried to look up the call charges table on the Plusnet site but I am unable to figure out the charges for 08452 or 0844 or 0844 86 numbers.
Can someone help ?
TIA
ceebee123
8 REPLIES 8
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Confused about 0845 and 0844 calls.

If there is a simpler way I would be pleased to hear it but here is the only way that I know (which may or may not always give a true answer!)
Look up phone numbers here to find BT's "Charge Rate":
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/downloads/BT_PhoneTariff_SpecialNos.pdf
e.g. 0844 86 is "g8".
Then look up Plusnet's tariff here http://www.plus.net/residential/tariffs/homephone.html
e.g. g8 calls cost 12.5p set up fee + 1p per minute.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ceebee123, the difficulty in advising call costs for particular codes arises because charging is not based on the number you dial, it's based on the destination. It's easiest to explain with numbers starting 07 as these can be to the mobile networks, or very often for 'personal numbering services'. Each of these destinations attract different charges and do not have strictly defined number ranges (at least over long periods). When we consider 0845 you have the added complication that most numbers are free but others are not (e.g. dial up internet)! It is likely that your calling card numbers will be chargeable but I can't tell you what the exact charges are, until a call is made - then I can find out the destination and work that back to your specific talk package and give you all the applicable charges, I can also search based just on the telephone number, if another person has made a recent call.
I hope this helps!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Actually Ben that doesn't help, it makes things as clear as mud. The Plusnet Home Phone Tarriff states that chargeable 0845 calls are 7.5ppm + 12.5p setup fee.
Are you saying that there are 0845 numbers that could be charged differently/more?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Anotherone
I'm currently running a check to see if all numbers which start with '0845' come under the 'Local non-geographical' destination to confirm whether or not they are all charged at the same rate. As there are many millions of calls to review, it's taking a few hours to give me the answer! I know that the call charging system is a little difficult to get into as it uses the destination name, not the first few digits of the number to assign a cost. This is why I used 07 numbers as an example because customers are used to paying different charges (historically, not on our current tariffs) depending on the destination.
As an example of this pricing scheme, you can see our legacy Home Phone Evenings & Weekends tariff here which had different call costs to '3 Mobile' than the other mobile networks, irrespective of all mobile numbers starting '07'.
Anotherone
Champion

I appreciate what you are saying Ben but you weren't the only provider charging different rates to different Mobile operators, but any such prices at least for mobiles have always been clear in the price list.  I have a copy of the legacy tariff (and that is where the 'errors'  first started to creep in) BUT 0845 numbers otherwise known as Lo-call numbers have ALL always been / should be charged at the same rate where they are not inclusive (ie. IDA and ISP dial-up as stated exclusions). It doesn't matter where they end up, the caller doesn't know where they are going, that's the whole idea of an NTS number. The same applies to 0870, it doesn't matter where they go,  they are charged at National rate where they are not inclusive.
James
Grafter

Ben is running a report to clarify whether or not we see different charging bands on 0845 numbers.
My take is that we don't and that they are all charged at the same rate, but Ben wants to confirm this prior to posting.
The issue is more with that of 0844 numbers having a considerable number of different charging bands.  I'm sure that these things used to be simple.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks James, (perhaps also you could answer my most recent PM).
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the clarification James, I did indeed want to check what we were actually charging, rather than go on what I thought we thought we were charging. Calls to 0845 numbers come to us with 2 different destinations but we charge the same for both destinations, hence only having 1 price list. We also maintain a 'whitelist' for calls to our 0845 support number and other numbers.
As I've stated on other threads, clarifying our portal price list is all part of a wider piece of work that I have to ensure our published prices match the charged prices but this is a big piece of work and will take some time to complete!