cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complication with move from BT to Plusnet

Ponds
Dabbler

Complication with move from BT to Plusnet

I'm concerned that trying to move my phone line to Plusnet will cause me to be without a phone for a weekend and (much worse) that this break might mean I lose my phone number.
I've had my broadband with Force 9/Plusnet for years and my phone line with BT. I decided to move the phone line to Plusnet as well. On 7th August, I requested this in a chat session, saying "I need to give BT notice, so I would like to move as soon as possible after 24th August but not before that date."  So the change was arranged.
Next, BT told me that "another service provider" has told them I want to move my line on 21st and my services will automativally be moved on 21st. Note the dates.
I turns out the 21st would have been enough notice so I thought it would be easiest to go with the BT date. I suggested this to Plusnet and someone checked the Openreach system.  Openreach have a "Committed date" of 24th and "Required by date" of 21st. Apparently this means the order can be provided by the 21/08 but is committed (= arranged ?) for the 24th..
I also raised this with BT and was told three different things by three different people. One said he couldn't find a record of my move, another said BT can't do anything about the date, it's up to Plusnet and another said (verbally, not in writing) it's OK for the 24th.
Am I worrying over nothing and all will go smoothly? Or should I cancel the move to Plusnet and (maybe) start again?  Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Brian
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Complication with move from BT to Plusnet

Hi Brian,

The required by date is the one that really matters and that's set as the 24th.
As we have a transfer order in place this means BT can't raise an order to cease the service so there's no risk of that happening either.
You did the right thing to let them know you were leaving to ensure no duplicate billing occurred for example.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've just double checked this and basically when the order was put through, automation set the date for as soon as possible (21/08/15) the agent then went on to the order and put an amend request through to get this changed to the 24th as you had requested.
The order is committed for the 24th (Which is the important one, I think Adam meant to say committed and not required by in his last post). The required by date is what was originally requested, the committed date is when it's scheduled to go ahead for.
Your current provider should be aware that our order is progressing for the 24th, however initially they may have received notification (And then sent the notification on to yourself) stating that it was originally going to go ahead on the 21st. As it currently stands from our side of things, I don't see any reason why your current provider should cut you off on the 21st.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Ponds
Dabbler

Adam, HarryB,
Thanks for your replies. I won't need to do any more chasing because of that  Smiley  and I'll just wait till the 24th (fingers crossed)
Ponds
Dabbler

For anyone else looking at this in future:  just  accept the default transfer date, which is apparently 14 days from when you ask for the line to be moved.
In fact, here was no problem with this. The phone line remained active with BT over the weekend.  Plusnet took it over about 6 in the morning of the 24th and I didn't lose my number.
So it turned out I was worrying over nothing.
P.S  When I phoned BT about it, their "specially trained advisor" suggested I should stay with them and instead move my broadband to BT. One of their lines was "Why are you putting yourself through this?"  For some reason, I fouind this a bit irritating. Patronising?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear it all went ahead ok on the day Cheesy
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet