Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clear the number: Press 1475 - not working

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Clear the number: Press 1475 - not working

Anyone else having problems clearing numbers using 1475  - after dialling 1471 .
I just get a message "please hang up " then line drops and if I 1471 the call is still announced.
14 REPLIES 14
paulby
Grafter

Re: Clear the number: Press 1475 - not working

Have you waited for the system to phone you back after dialling 1475?
You need to hang up when prompted and wait about 20 seconds for a ring back.  When/if you answer it all you'll get is a dial tone.  The previous call will then have been erased.
Not applicable

Doesn't work on mine either - I have come to the conclusion that it might have something to do with using number withheld.
Mal08
Rising Star

Yes - the number I can't get cleared is from a withheld number too
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
I'm just looking into this at the moment, will post back as soon as I've any more information.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right.
Basically that's normal - this feature has never been able to remove a withheld number, and as far as we know it's the same on BT as well.
prichardson
Grafter

The 1475 feature is designed to clear the last received call, however it does this by overwriting it, not deleting it.
Per the comments above, it will ring you after you hang up from the 1475 feature. This call comes from a withheld number, which as a result, becomes the last person to call you.
Per the above notes, dial the number and it may or may not ring. It should however present a dead time as if a caller hung up.
End the call and you should receive a call within about 20 seconds, which should either be dead silence or dialtone when answered.
What actually happens within these two steps for you?
Mal08
Rising Star

What a weird setup - for the last few years with Onetel - after you hear the message - you hit * ( star ) and it clears all the calls BEFORE you clear down.
From the instruction I read that you dialled 1475 after the voice message but before clearing down.
So you're saying after listening to the message you clear down and then immediately dial 1475 ??.
So what if there is  more than one call listed - do you have to dial 1475 multiple times Huh - clearing down after each one ?Huh
that is REALLY crude compared to other networks.
prichardson
Grafter

My understanding is that 1471 extra has the functionality built in for deleting, where-as 1475 is a service that is obligated for the standard1471 service.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and also 1471 only stores the one last number not loads of them its 1571 that stores a lot of messages
paulby
Grafter

What a weird setup

It is a bit weird but unfortunately it's the way BT Openreach implement it.  It's the same fo all providers using BT' Openreach's wholesale call features (including BT retail).
Onetel use CPW's network, IIRC, which has implemented 1471 call erasure differently.
So what if there is more than one call listed

1471 will only ever list 1 call - the number of the last person to call you, previous calls are overwritten.
1471 Extra does have the ability to list the previous 5 calls and delete individual calls from the list (or the entire list) but this service is being withdrawn from new supply in October for WLR3 (it's already been withdrawn for WLR2 which I think is what PN use) and completely by the end of November this year.
Mal08
Rising Star

O dear - what a useless facility - you go out for a day , or worse a week - and come home and only know who was the last person to call.  Angry
If that is what Openreach offer - I suppose we are stuck with it.
Onetel by the way - predate CPW - as Onetel was originally part of teh British Gas service IIRC. CPW bought Onetel about 2 or 3 years ago IIRC.
What would be an even better facility would be to have a online service that showed ALL incoming calls showing if they were answered or not
Thanks for helping guys - but again I would suggest the documentation should explain more.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The facility exists. Sign up for Caller Display and buy a phone or device that stores the latest numbers that called. In my experience they also allow individual numbers to be deleted. I recently bought a suitable phone  for £7.99.  Plusnet does however charge for Caller Display.
Not applicable

Yeah - we use caller display (which is of course free with BT as part of the privacy package)
The phones store the times and dates of the last 50 incoming calls - much like a mobile telephone would.
If you add the numbers to your phonebook with a name, you get the list by name so you don't have to go through to identify the numbers as you would with a 1471 'list'
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: alanf
The facility exists. Sign up for Caller Display and buy a phone or device that stores the latest numbers that called. In my experience they also allow individual numbers to be deleted. I recently bought a suitable phone  for £7.99.  Plusnet does however charge for Caller Display.

That's the crunch - you have to pay extra for a facility that Onetel / Talk Talk and maybe others include within the price.
And of course you have to pay yet more money for a new phone - not something easy to justify in the present economic climate.