cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for calls over 60 minutes

cleandishie

Charges for calls over 60 minutes

As a relatively new Plusnet home phone customer, I would just like to ask how Plusnet deals with charging with calls that go above 60 minutes?
I had assumed that it would be dealt with in the same way our old BT package was where you were charged for the minutes above 60 including a connection charge. An example would be a standard UK call on the Anytime package that say lasted 64 minutes would be charged for 4 minutes at the normal rate plus the standard connection fee.
There are however some posts around the internet that imply that some companies would charge for the entire 64 minutes perhaps with a connection fee in this example, which is a little more concerning.
Looking at the Plusnet call tarriff guide it states the following -
"Inclusive call length
   Inclusive calls to UK numbers become chargeable after 60 minutes
   Inclusive calls to international numbers become chargeable after 30 minutes
   Calls to Plusnet Support are free for the duration of the call, regardless of length
Inclusive calls that become chargeable are charged at the relevant rate until the end of the call. The call set up fee is not applied."
Looking at this it seems that it states no setup fee will charged which is positive but I am still unclear about the "become chargeable" wording, does this mean the entire call period (example 64 minutes) or just the over 60 minute part (example 4 minutes)?
I would be grateful if a staff member or anyone on the current Anytime package who is 100% sure could clear this up as while we have remained under 60 minutes so far, sometimes the elderly members of the household have been known to go over by a few minutes every so often. It would be useful to know what to expect in these circumstances.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Charges for calls over 60 minutes

I keep meaning to ask this question too as I sit here timing the calls between the wife and her mother ......
peter10
Grafter

I went just over the hour last month (but can not remember by how much).The call charge was 9p so only the part over the hour was charged. I'm on the older Talk anytime plan.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From one of my bills and I am on the standard anytime package
Date                              Time          Duration          Cost
31/12/2013 <number> 18:24:06 01:02:00   £0.17
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

That's good to know. When I phone my Dad, we are on the phone for well over the hour. With Sky, they charged for the entire call. My provider before that, Eclipse, only charged for the minutes after the hour plus the ha'pennies connection fee.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Why not redial after 59 minutes and keep cost even lower?
picbits
Rising Star

If they are anything like the wife they lose track of time and go a few minutes over.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If any part of your call is included in your tariff, no setup fee is applied.
If you exceed any included minutes allowance:
-60 minute max duration for landline calls on anytime
-30 minute max duration for top 35 international landlines on International 300
-300 minute total duration for top 35 international landlines on International 300
-Cross from an inclusive to a non-inclusive period e.g. a UK landline call on 'Weekends' which starts at 23:55 Sunday and ends 00:30 Monday
+etc.
Then the inclusive part of the call is still free. Only the non-inclusive part is charged.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Ben,
That's a perfect (and clear) explanation.
Can't you get someone to copy and paste it into a relevant part of the Telephone FAQs?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cleandishie

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies Smiley
I couldn't believe it when I heard that some others charge for the entire period. In these cases we would be talking pounds and not pence for the simple error of mis-timing a call by a few minutes.
I'm glad Plusnet has chosen not to use this method, which means I don't have play time keeper with a proud person who doesn't want to admit they can't see the clock as well as they used to without their glasses. Smiley
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: cleandishie
I'm glad Plusnet has chosen not to use this method, which means I don't have play time keeper with a proud person who doesn't want to admit they can't see the clock as well as they used to without their glasses. Smiley

How's their hearing?
Get them one of these and set it for 59mins!