cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for call to Cuba which wasn't answered

coastergrotto
Grafter

Charged for call to Cuba which wasn't answered

I returned home from a week's stay in Cuba on Saturday September 6th bringing my Cuban friend back with me for a month's stay.    The following evening Hurricane Ike struck and her home town of Banes was the first to be hit by this category 4 hurricane before it continued ripping it's way through Holguin Province and upwards towards Havana.      Power was only restored to her hometown yesterday and we were without communication of any kind for four days.    The roof has been ripped clean off her house, although it appears little other damage has occured to her property.    Incidentally over 20,000 houses in her home town lost their roofs and as another side Cuba will get no aid from GB or the US and will have to sort out it's own problems.
On September 9th at 15:58:27 I attempted to ring a landline number of a neighbour of my friend without success but I was still charged for a 1 minute call at £1.20 .  I can't recall whether or not I was told that the call could not be connected or not because I have tried several times ringing from my mobile to mobile phones and this landline.
It has certainly made me very vary about ringing international numbers in the future if you are being charged for calls when you do not actually get connected to the number.  Maybe this is in the small print somewhere but I think it is wrong.  We are trying to find out information from a disaster area and then get charged for making a phone call where the number in question didn't answer, probably because the line was out of action due to phone lines being down in Cuba.    It just doesn't seem fair to me.
7 REPLIES 7
Santiago
Grafter

Re: Charged for call to Cuba which wasn't answered

Telediscount calls to cuba £0.60 per minute http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php
Skype calls to Cuba £0.58 per minute http://www.skype.com/prices/callrates/?currency=GBP#listing-C
Santiago
Grafter

I don't have Plusnet home phone and as such I am not aware of the the charging rates etc.
However I  also would not be happy being charged for a not-connected call.
I will be interested in what PlusNet say about this as I have  a friend looking at a Plusnet phone and broadband package.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just had a look into the raw data for this call and it shows a duration of 12 seconds. Was there an automated message or similar or a phone menu system?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
Off topic posted removed, please can we keep this one on subject as deviations are causing offence.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Chris:
There was some sort of message saying that the call couldn't be connected or something along that line.    The call was not answered by the person at the number I can assure you of that.    Twelve seconds would be the time I guess that the recorded message was playing until I ended the call.
As the proverb goes: Once bitten, twice shy.  Surely the same situation wouldn't exist if you called a UK number and you were told there was a fault on the line, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be charged.    I'd be interested in knowing who charges for the call, Plusnet, BT or Etecsa (the government owned Cuban phone company)?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

All I know is that we were charged a wholesale cost for the call and that's why it was added on to your bill. I'll pop a ticket on your account explaining and hopefully to help sort this out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Many thanks Chris for looking into this for me.     Your help has been much appreciated.